1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clear Strobe Mini Lightbar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Calvinslawns, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

So I have the opportunity to buy a clear mini strobe mini lightbar at cost from my work. Just wanted to get some opinions on it for plowing and general use? I am mainly concerned with the flashback off the snow, anyone think this is going to be a problem?

2. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

not sure about your area - but my area clear isnt legal. amber is all thats allowed for plowing.

3. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

A plain amber light can be bad enough, reflecting back off the snow, but won't be as bad as white/clear could be.
    Anyway, the MI vehicle code requires amber/yellow for plowing, on a public way or even in a parking lot accessible by the public. (Michigan Compiled Laws 257.682c)
    White is allowed only on authorized emergency vehicles. [MCL Section 257.698(5)(h)]

4. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I wouldn't go for a clear bar. Too much flash back, and people associate amber lights with service like construction and snow removal.

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

A number of guys up here are starting to use a white / amber combination (or even all white in one case) in their warning lights. While I'll agree that white is indeed the brightest light you'll find from any given illumination source, it has its problems.

First, I think you'll find that in snow / whiteout conditions - particularly at night - it'll drive you nuts. The flash back is just too intense.

Second, most states will not allow you to run any kind of flashing white warning lights while on the road. It's a different story for official emergency vehicles. And even then, you will never see one of them with all white lighting - for exactly the reasons already mentioned. On the other hand, if you're on private property, you can run about whatever you want.

Hope that helps.

6. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

Yea flashback is my main concern with using white. I only plow drives and lots. I don't use the mini bar too often on the road unless i'm stopped to help at an accident or something. I think ill buy another amber one, the clear was just a couple hundred cheaper so it made it tempting.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I used to run a Whelen Guardian (dual strobes with a diamond shaped reflector in the middle). Any ways, it came with an amber lens cover, that went missing one night so I replaced it with a clear lens and 1 amber strobe beacon (both internally were clear). Its a very bright light to begin with but with the clear lens and one white strobe, when it was snowing at night the flash back was awful. It definitely got peoples attention and stood out from several blocks away due to the white strobe but it got old real quick.

8. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I bought a small light bar made by Buyers, out of Ohio. I has a clear lens with 24 amber LED lights. 8 flash patterns and is low profile. 9' power cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I plow driveways and like it so far.

9. Snobelawnkenobe

Snobelawnkenobe Junior Member

I think you're only allowed Amber. If you need to brighten things up put on a light bar with some K C's

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  10. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

I have a clear sho me on my truck i love it. it has amber l.e.d's & clear strobes in it. I actually bought 7 more for all my trucks i also have fenix cannons in clear in head & tail lights not suppose to run clear or white. but i do, I dont care want to been seen backing out into traffic on busy roads!