1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clear or Color Dome??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by duraplow, Jun 9, 2013.

1. duraplow

duraplow Member

I'm switching out some of the mini Whelen bars on our trucks, I decided to go with the Whelen Responder LPs (amber) for my truck and two of the business trucks. Are the LED lightheads brighter with just the clear dome or with an amber dome?

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Daytime the Amber domes will prove brighter and more Visiable, Night time both will be the same as far as brightness. The Whelen brand has always been a bright Lightbar unlike some of the Chinese crap during the day you cant see from 50ft away

3. duraplow

duraplow Member

Thanks, I couldn't make up my mind on which would look better on my rack... but I have a amber patriot mini bar so I'll keep the amber dome going.

We've always used Whelen lights and never had a single problem. But alot of fire depts around here inlcuding our new engine, have had a ton of body surface Whelen light problems

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I really don't think the out dome color affects the light output with LEDs. If I had my choice, I'd go with a clear dome. I think they stick out less than the amber. That's what I did on my truck with a 36" bar and although the bar isn't invisible, it's a heck of a lot less visible than if I'd gone with an amber out dome. (That's with the bar off BTW.) Just my 2 cents.

5. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Likewise! I like my sho-me LED light bar with the clear done as i think its a little more visible in the day time alone.

6. Too Stroked

I think you guys misunderstood me. I went with a clear outer dome because the bar (when its off) blends into the white truck much better than a 36" amber dome bar would. I actually borrowed a pair of amber upper / outer domes for my bar and tried them on. The bar stuck out like a sore thumb. If you look closely at my sig pic, you can see the bar with the clear domes.

BTW, I really doubt the outer dome color affects light output one bit.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  7. duraplow

duraplow Member

I ended up ordering 3 mini responders, and two came in clear dome and one with amber dome

8. Too Stroked

I think you'll see what I mean about the brightness being identical no matter what the outer dome color. In fact you will be in a unique position to try them side by side.

See what I mean about which bar is "more invisible" just sitting on the truck though?