1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clear antifreeze/coolant...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Sep 16, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Has anyone ever seen absolutely clear antifreeze/coolant before? I just got my truck back from the shop to have the coolant changed/flushed- the coolant they used is almost perfectly clear (last one was pink- dexcool I guess). What brand coolant is this/what type of coolant is it? I got one of those antifreeze testers and tested it- came in almost the same as water ! :realmad: Maybe this coolant isn't ethylene glycol? Anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
    matt

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There isn't a completely clear coolant. Even the newest PG coolants have a slight gold tint to them.

The fact that it tested the same as water is an indication in itself...sure sounds like they forgot something.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Could have a slight gold tint to it- looked nearly clear to me. THe tester I got only tests ethylene glycol- could this be a different type of coolant which would be why the tester read almost the same as water?

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

B&B can ya :help: the poor kid out here> Please.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like it is the new global antifreeze.(all makes all models) Almost clear. I dont think it should test like watter, the bulb type testors are not verry accurate. We use a refractometer to test antifreeze. The anitfreeze maybe propylene glycol Wich may not test the same as ethylene glycol depending on ur testor. Alot of places are using the global to save costs of having every type antifreeze I think there is around 10 types now. The global is compatable with them all.

Just a link to the same style testor we use.
    http://www.novatech-usa.com/Product...82bd8ba5b562c05f.e3eSbNqNc38Le34Pa38Ta38Pax50

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some brands of "universal" EG coolant out there that is gold as well. I'd be surprised if they put PG in it ($$$).

Since this was just freshly done, remember that the coolant bottle may have a high concentration of water in it still...as it takes a while for the content in the tank to circulate into the system, and more than likely they added the antifreeze FIRST and the water last to bring it up to the full mark.

7. brad96z28

If they dont mix it before they put it in the car there seriously wasted :dizzy:

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many out there without an exchange machine still don't. :nod:

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I drove it around for about 4 hours today- still same color- almost clear. The truck actually seems to be running cooler since the change. Would there be a telltale thing that would happen if they put in straight water or way less coolant than should have put in? Like it overheating etc?

10. brad96z28

It could boil If it had str8 water in it. Other then that It could freeze at temp higher then it should. 50 50 mix should freeze at -34. U may want to have it checked with a refractometer, It is accurate. It would be on the back of my mind, U cant trust anyone to do anything.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most things will run cooler the less the antifreeze/water concentration is... water has faster heat transfer than antifreeze.

I'd be checkin' it. :nod:

12. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Stick a sample of it in your freezer overnight, and see how it works

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What is the fluid capacity of the whole system in the vortec 6.0L engine? How hard is it to change the coolant- since it was flushed before could I just drain and refill it without flushing?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you can drain and refill without a flush...but you wont get out all of whatever they put in it...and you don't know what that is or how much is in it.

Your much further ahead to start over and have it evacuated and properly filled with the correct amount of coolant....otherwise your simply guessing.

Total system capacity is approx 4 gallon total on the 6.0's.

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

good idea get 1 cup of this then put in freezer that can go to 10oF or more cold.

It sound they put straight water to try destroy it. Is this engine have iron block?

16. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'll try putting some in the freezer over the weekend- my girlfriend has a freezer that goes down to 0F- I'll leave a little in her freezer overnight and see what happens. About how much does a gallon of coolant cost?

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wouldn't be a bad low tech test. :salute:

Figure about $11-$15 a gallon for antifreeze. Two gallons of 100% will do it.

18. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I bought one yesterday it was $9.99

don't get fancy antifreeze. i don't like dexcool because I heard bad thing due leak seal.

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I called them today- he said they used a "fits all" type coolant which is known as "vanilla" hence why it almost looks like water- said it should be good for down to -30F I think I'll test a sample this weekend in the freezer just to be sure. Also- anyone ever heard of a DC magnetic block heater?

Thanks,
    matt

20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Any thoughts?