1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cleanup Charge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hammer24, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

What do you charge to clean up the end of a driveway after the storm is over and you have already plowed the driveway and the town/city/village DPW plow it in?
  2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

15 - 20 bucks unless i can do a full push while im there then the full service charge
  3. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

whatever they're willing to pay. 15-20 is reasonable, but dont hesitate to throw out a 25 or 30 every once in a while just to see if they go for it. I've gotten a couple. Its a sales game. They can either have you do it in 5 min time and save their time/back pain or they can send you down the road and shovel themselves. Plow it, get paid, and hand them a business card. Tell them to call you next time they need it.
  4. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

I concur 15-20 is reasonable
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I sometimes don't. The reason is very simple. I take pride in my work. This is part of a customer retention policy for my good customers. If I drive by later and the town screwed up my artwork, I go back and just push both corners of the driveway entrance Two pushes,- one to the left and one to the right, and done in a minute.
  6. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

I agree! I have noticed if you do the little things when you raise your rates due to fuel etc, They are less likely to squawk,,,,,
  7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

It depends on the customer and location. sometimes half sometimes the full amount.
  8. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Ditto on that, I only have 4 residentials and a commercial (I work full time at something else). Doesn't cost me much and the customers appreciate it.

9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

In most cases, the full amount, otherwise it's free when I'm passing by. Plowing a drive only ever takes a few minutes in the first place, so if you have to go back and spend 2 min. cleaning up instead of 5 min. plowing the whole thing, it really costs you about the same either way?
  10. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

Thanks for the responses guys...I pretty much agree with most of you. I wasnt planning on charging to clean up the end of the drive, but thought I'd ask those of you who have been doing this for many years to get your perspective. A little bit of pride in your work and generosity sure goes a long way. Word of mouth can be the best money makerpayup.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

It's part of doing a good job that you can take pride in:D

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

During a plowable event, the clearing of snow should be timed to the end of the snowfall as much as possible and practical. If more snow comes after the end of the storm, or the town continues to clean roads long after the driveway has been done by you, it is not your responsibility to "go back" and clear again. I haven't had one occasion where my clients have either called me to say "come finish" nor, any complaints about how I've plowed...It's all in the timing of the service. I anyone does need additional service it's a chargeable service...USUALLY at a discounted price. There are times when you can't plow at all because of cars filling the driveway, so you do have to return to provide the service at a time when people can come out and move the cars so you can do your job. This is always not convenient at 2 or 3 am...just continue on your route and hit them at a later time.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  13. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on the customer. Here in Cleveland we do unlimited contracts so people call about everything.They call and say they have 4 inches in their driveway when they have 1. They just want you to come back out so they can see blacktop or concrete at all times. If they were paying per push they would never call. So I charge $15-$20. It also depends on the customer and the situation. The thing that sucks is when the city crews can't get to the side streets to the day after the storm, then every apron is a mess after 6 inches of snow. Its kind of hard to charge for that sometimes, its just one of those things where its not good for either party involved. You don't want them to feel taken advantage of...but at the same time you can't have 4 trucks running around cleaning aprons for free. Employees need to be paid & trucks need fuel.