1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning plug pins

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by WOODY367, Oct 21, 2010.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Whats the best way to clean any corrosion off the MM2 plugs? Both male and female? Would be nice to find a wire brush to fit them.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I use contact cleaner that has degreasing properties followed by emery cloth to hand polish what I can (usually over the blade of a very small flat blade screwdriver to get into tight places) and liberally apply dielectric grease when done as well as periodically if needed during the year. Don;t forget to carefully expand the pins for good contact as they do compress with use and time.

I have seen a wire brush tool for cleaning 7 pin trailer plug connectors but nothing for plow plugs- not sure how well such a thing would work anyway. Dielectric grease is the best thing you can do to prevent it from corroding.

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Sounds good. How do you get into the female side? I am looking to find a small round wire bruch or a real stiff pipe cleaner. It the femail side thats the hard part.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

spray them with battery cleaner. or use baking soda and watter. Then die electric grease.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Exactly. just be sure to clean the old grease off (Q tips) first or it won't work as well.

The other thing to consider on the female side, is a welders brush set. They have some really small picks that do the job perfectly.

6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Have had great luck with de-greaser and an air hose. Then soak the plugs in CLR for 5 minutes. Rinse with clean water, dry with compressed air.

After that, if they are stubborn I use the torch/welder cleaning wire brushes. Little dielectric grease and you are hauling the mail.

:mechanic: