1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning a hand held controller

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LapeerLandscape, Dec 30, 2015.

1. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone ever cleaned the contacts on a hand held controller. I have one that you have to push really hard on the down button to get it to work. I have heard not to clean them but was wondering if I could sand them or use rubbing alcohol.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I use scotch-brite abrasive pads and brake clean or alcohol. Don't use sandpaper or steel wool. I have heard some people suggest using a pencil eraser but I didn't find it effective.

3. LapeerLandscape

I used rubbing alcohol and a few q tips. It was pretty dirty ans seemed to do the trick.

4. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

Just did my fisher controller today. scotch bite works great. my contacts were dark in color just a few rubs and they were shiny. Do both sides and it will work great

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Great tip guys. On the Fisher controller's....do you just un-screw the back 2 screws and take apart? One thing I'm going to be doing is taking them out of the trucks come spring, way too much dirt and dust from landscaping get into the cab and controllers.

6. LapeerLandscape

Take the controller apart then seperate the circuit board and the rubber contact pad and clean both parts.

7. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

A couple of days ago I put my plow on, 8.5 MVP Unimount, and had no movement. Had power to the hand held. Took it apart and used a pencil eraser to clean button contacts. That did the trick. I felt lucky that day as the first significant snow of the winter was on its way in.

8. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

http://906engineering.com/ Just FYI. This is an outfit from my area that makes aftermarket hand held controllers for various makes of plows. I noticed on occasion some folks are inquiring about their original controllers going bad. This may be an option for some. Just found them today.