1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clean or replace Electric Motor, with pics

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gunsworth, Feb 13, 2012.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

For the last 2 seasons the plow has gotten very weak angling under load (cleaned valves, connections and just about everything else, also same on different trucks)

So I decided to open up the motor and hoping a good cleaning will help. any advice on doing so, should I just soak it with brake cleaner and blow it out? looks like some parts should be relubed, which ones and what lube? here are a couple pics. this is on my 7.6 stdstb from 2006, original motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

It looks like the lowest brush in the picture is more worn then the rest, unless its stuck down. Good luck getting that back together the way its sitting. Personally I would replace the motor, its 6 yrs old.

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Too risky, IMO. Brushes, windings & bearings are all prone to failure at some point. There's an insulating lacquer on the windings which also deteriorates from over heating, thus the motor will continue to run even hotter. I'd get a new one & maybe see about having it rebuilt, just to keep on the shelf.

4. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

they were all worn evenly, wasnt too bad to get back together (could have used an extra couple fingers lol)

I cleaned it all up really good, but I see what the other guy said about the lacquer or whatever deteriorating. This late in the season I think I will just ride it out (bearing had no play to speak of either) hoping it will work better now. this is not for my primary truck, so if it goes down in a storm it will just take a bit longer to finish my driveways. Come spring I will pull it and have it rebuilt for next year, I know a great place that did wonders on the motor for my winch.

Didnt quite make enough to compensate for buying my VXT this season so im trying to keep the spending down on plow equip