1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clatter in 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bison1973, Nov 24, 2004.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

1991 GMC K1500 5.7L Auto

When I have the wheels turned all the way to the right and in 4wd there is a clatter (clank) sound coming from up front. Any ideas anyone? Also, at idle or just slightly above and in drive or reverse the engine almost dies and sometimes does. Again any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Tim S.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

In the "clatter" I would check the CV joints out by wheels for tightness and their boots too. On the stumble, you might check TP sensor (Throttle Position) and MAP sensor. (Manifold Absolute Pressure) for proper operation as together they can signal ECM for more fuel for engine (or less if slowing down)

3. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

front end

front driveshaft.. cv joint .. thats it.... 500 bucks!!! fix it now if it goes you are 2WD

4. Tarkus

Actually it can be worse than just 2WD because it CV joint fails at speed under load and breaks free it can beat up the bottom of truck a bit and you will not be able to drive truck or even move it until broken part is removed

5. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

maintainance

The main issuse here is i dont feel that many new people on this site have any real understanding as to the incredible amount to potential damage a plow truck can face. This busnes is ugly.. period. Trucks that are put into plow service have lees than half there normal life span. Think about that you spend 30k-40k and you may get maby 5-6 years out of the truck , only with proper maintance and a little luck. So to the guys that beleve snow is a increduble money maker you are wrong. Quick cash only offsets the pain you will feel when somthing breaks. And the dealer will not help you, plow related faliure are not covered by warrentys.

6. Tarkus

I have to take exception with this, there is use and abuse and there is no reason that a properly equipped 3/4 or 1 ton truck cannot last 6 to 8 years and more in even heavy use. There are a lot of plow trucks around here 10 to 15 years old and some more than 20 years old. It is how you use them not abuse them (slamming gears and ramming piles hards and such) and maintainance that determines service life of truck and plow. Newer is not always the most reliable too as trucks are becoming more car like all the time.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds like you might have two different problems. The CV's need to be checked out maybe even the ball joints. Depends if your hearing the clunk just into the turn or that it continues through the turn.

The second issues is the engine stalling at idle. There could be a number of issues causing this. It could be anything from fuel injectors, pump, sensors, etc. You might first want to get the code's checeked out. It it'f only happening at idle then it may be a simple tune up or throttle sensors/control. If it happens when you accelerate from any maintained speed then it may be a number of other sensors. Get the code - if there is one then identify when it is really stumbling on it's self.

8. Tarkus

He stated a clatter in 4wd in a turn and that would not be ball joints. ON the hesitation as I stated above, there are a few key things to check first before you check everything because most of the time (not always though) the problem is in that area for simptoms described.

9. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

yes well said but

I left out a small minor part to my post.. our trucks are driven by OTHERS not me not my partner.. yes you can keep a plow truck forever.. but drivers dont own or care how your trucks are driven..

10. Tarkus

Simple solution, if driver is hard on trucks , find another driver or even offer a incentive to driver that get through season without a major failure. Make it worth their while or somewhat accountable they will treat it differently.

11. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

Yes true

Its a yearly problem friends relitives employees ect. How many people do you know who have jobs that can plow for you starting at 2 am and not leave untill 4pm ? we are always in a bind. 4 trucks need drivers and there are so many issues fuel, food , coffee, radios , cell phones.. all i can say is that i really wish i could go back to the days of having a few driveways and getting home before 9 am.. now its a 3 day event prior to the storm and a 2 day event after were done.. then 45 days later we get a check..

12. Tarkus

You pay your drivers x number of dollar to drive and give them a bonus at end of season IF they do not have a major failure (calculate it into wages because otherewise people generally do not care about breaking things that they do not have to pay for to get fixed put think twice when it can effect their income too)

13. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have one question about the noise heard while turning in 4wd. If you were on dry pavement the tires will bind causing the tires to slide or jump and leasing the bind. Inspect you front axles only first to look for damage/wear... Then never engage 4wd and turn tires on dry pavement....