1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Class I, II, & III

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Snowzilla, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Anyone know what defines the different class ratings of warning lights. I know I is brighter than II or III, but is there some authority who sets the rules on these? Maybe there are situations where a Class II or III is preferred over a class I.

2. John911

John911 Member

Sae

Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) makes these recommendations, which are in turn used by States to describe required intensity levels for warning lights.

At a minimum for amber, Class 2 is 2.5X brighter than Class 3. Class 1 is 4X brighter than Class 2. Measurements are in candela/second/minute.

Generally, 3 is only off-highway (think forklift warning light).

2 is typically work trucks, working by roadside (think cable truck).

1 is typically primary warning (think police/fire).

Many States are shifting from 2 to 1 for work trucks as the added intensity id better noticed in bright sunshine and allows for greater reaction distance.

3. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Class 1 = emergency response (requests the right of way)
    Class 2 = Warning/hazard
    Class 3 - identification

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

That's exactly what I was looking for! I found very little on the internet about this. So by what you guy's mentioned. Class II may be most appropriate for snow plowing? Class I may be overkill? and Class III a little weak. I have a Class III led beacon and its kinda weak in day light.

5. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Class 3 is usually el-cheapo. Class 1 and 2 are the way to go if you want or need to be seen. Class 1 is necessary to clear traffic for emergency response.