1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clark Forklift Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TomB...IN, Feb 19, 2014.

1. TomB...IN

TomB...IN Member
    from Indiana

We recently purchased an older clark forklift and have a few issues to work through, and what better place to seek advice than Plowsite!

Issue #1. The clutch seems to be out of adjustment, or going out. To put it in gear once the engine is running you basically have to grind it/jam it in gear. Once its running you can go from either forward to reverse by depressing the clutch and shifting into the other gear just fine, but if you go to neutral and let the clutch out, then depress the clutch to go back into gear, you have to jam it back into gear like before. Is the clutch easily adjusted or is there something else I should check?

Issue #2 The side shift of the forks. It works very slowly with nothing on the forks, but as soon as you put maybe 100 lbs on it (A couple pallets stacked up) it does nothing. My thoughts are the seals in the cylinder are blown which allows it to have enough pressure under no load to move, but once a load is applied it cant build enough pressure to move it. Any other thoughts?

Thanks alot! :mechanic:
  2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Don't know about the trans,but take the line off the non pressure side of the cyl. With a load on the forks, try to side shift. If the fluid comes out of the cyl port without the shift moving, the fluid is bypassing the piston rings and the cyl needs to be rebuilt.
  3. TomB...IN

TomB...IN Member
    from Indiana

Well that makes sense, don't know why I never thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds more like a tranny issue than a clutch issue since it will shift fine once the you got the gears not turning. But once you have the gears spinning it won't go in gear. My guess is the synchros are shot. Can you start it in gear with clutch pressed in? This should eliminate some grinding.
  5. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Since we're on this topic, where can I find Clarke manuals and parts? I have checked everywhere and the dealer says it's too old for them. Or a good resource for info? I have a (massively) leaky tranny and I'm not sure how bad it's going to be.