1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clarification on large lots.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by twfraz, Oct 21, 2014.

1. twfraz

twfraz Junior Member

I have been sub'd to help do a big box store lot. I have been doing roads and driveways for a couple years now. I found a post from 04 that talked about radius plowing. I liked the idea of less wear and tear and backing.

Around the building I got...clear out docks and close up then just keep going around pushing snow to outside. The main lot is were I need clearing up... From what I gather you would plow across the top wind rowing towards middle then raise blade, go to bottom and drop again coming back across.

I have a 8' Western (I am on my own till the other accounts get finished). There is a 2" trigger and I am not sure yet if I can stack at the light poles. I would plan on cleaning out from in front of merchandise on edges too. I'm sorry if I have missed my answer somewhere else. The lot is about 5 acres.

LOT.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Radius or circular plowing in theory does work but it will only work to a point. I had plowed a large lot like that when I was in a hurry. It did make a mess tho. Final clean ups I would just back up.
    On like 2" snows I'd do that.
    But I was only putting snow at one end to.
    I also HIGHLY doubt you can put anything by the poles

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If you have other people eventually coming to help you out then it works. It makes a difference if they are just trucks or machines coming. The size of the windrows makes a difference also. Oh, and if someone decides to not send you help like in a bigger storm cause some stores might take a preference, then you might be stuck trying to move everything after the fact and your screwed.

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have seen guys windrow until the row was 5' tall and solid as the good book. Then they got stuck trying to bite off big sections with their 8' straight blade. I think I would want wings on my plow and try to scoop all the way to the pile each time..

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd hate to plow that in a circle and have to clean the mess up. I have to think it would be more efficient to do it right the first time. If you're there by yourself and that's your only lot, it can't be that hard to keep up, as long as you get started on time.

6. twfraz

twfraz Junior Member

Thank you guys for your input.... I like to know even when I may be off in left field somewhere. I try to give the boss & customer's more than they expect. I didn't think about not getting help. The other places are a good distance from this one and it would be just more plow trucks coming.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Last year I did a lot that size in a 4'' and under snow fall
    I was able stack snow at both ends I ran it so I didn't have no backing up
    Once I hit the pile area I would raise to dump snow off Never took it out of drive Then once I get all the snow to the stacking area then I would stack it up
    But I ran a 9.6 V plow w/wings
    So not sure my way would work for you
    The pic shows the route you keep repeating the route till you get all snow to stacking area

356.jpg

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

One of my lots is like that also but the Damn pile area is on one side only, 600 feet away from the other side. Pain in the ass.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Oh, wait.....

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Isn't that the truth

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I'm no plow God. But that's a big lot for a pick up truck. My visual scale may be off but it looks like 5-6 acres. If that's the case you will never get that completed in a reasonable time with a truck. It just seams like a long distance to push all that snow across the lot with a truck

12. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

anyone who posts they can clear that w/ 1 pick up is a joker . please , my stomach is killing me , i cant stop laughing . just picturing them scrambling back n forth in a blizzard then asking somebody if they have a chain to pull them off a drift . lmao

13. Antlerart06

Yes I agree for a 8ft plow
    The Lot I did last winter I took it over last week of Dec
    The company before me ran 2 8ft plows no wings in a 8'' snow they said took them 6 hrs each to clean it and it was a 5 acre HD lot.
    Then 4 days later a 6'' storm and at 4am Sunday the company walk off Then I took it over

14. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

on the floor , rolling , laughing . you arent serious ? PLOWING IN A CIRCLE ???
    hahahahahahahahah oh , i cant catch my breath:jester:

if i came on that lot and seen you doing that , that would be the last of your snow art escapades career, lol . you treat this like a game .

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  15. Antlerart06

Hate change the subject That Ford you have on your profile what tires you have on it and is that a DRW chassis

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That looks like a Lowes or HD. The left side of the lot looks to have sheds for sale, so can't stack on top of those. And every idiot in the world will be running to a home store to grab shovels, salt, generators, or whatever else while you're plowing, so you'll have to plow around them. It will be just a matter of keeping the main lanes open until they close and then clean up. I see you're in VA and you get similar snows like us here in NC but just a little more. That would be wet snow that turns to concrete at night and a public that freaks the F out....not fun.

17. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

335 x 80 R20 G rated, severe duty goodyears
    20 x 10 Aluminum, 3 piece, powder-coated and polished wheels
    8000lb front coils with 2.5'' front /rear lift

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It's cool, but why? It seems like more a show off truck than work truck?

19. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

tank traps , oh them tank traps . then yer in a world of trouble .
    extreme conditions call for extreme applications.

20. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

I asked my partner the same , its his prototype . i could do my own take off on my own build cheaper .

truck is sick looking on the street .