1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Claim as Employee's??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by northernsweeper, Feb 3, 2009.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

What is the best way to classify drivers, if you only work them 5 or 6 hours a storm and not at all the rest of the time? If they are driving your trucks? Would you call them employees or contractors?:dizzy:What if they are family, does that make a difference? They are on my insurance to drive my trucks and I have workers comp on them. Thanks for any info.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i know i classify some of my mowing help as casual labor.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

They would be employes.

4. northernsweeper

What is the difference between casual and regular labor?

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are paying them to drive, then I would consider them as employees. As long as they are listed as employees, then your liability insurance will cover them as well as you truck insurance.

6. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Taken from here- http://www.wwwebtax.com/general/independent_contractor.htm

7. northernsweeper

Thanks for the info, I guess they are going to be employees. Dustball are you a sweeping company??

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Casual labor can be paid up to $600 per year without the employer going through the hassle of all the tax deductions, after that, they're a full out employee.

And yes, they are employees, family or not.

9. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Nah, I am a sub doing residential driveways and sidewalks.

I also run a senior in-home care business with my dad and have to deal with all the payroll issues.