1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CJ gear ratios

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Flipper, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I got a problem with my brothers 84 CJ7 Jeep. He broke the rear axle. It is the wider setup. Wondering what the gear ratio is? It is stock 258 straight six with manual tranny. Gears have never been changed. Just wondering what the factory ratio would be? Looking around there are tons of setups with different ratios for autos and 4cyls as well as the 6.

Anyone know where to look in the northeast for a complete used setup? Really don't want to mess with swapping stuff over.
  2. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

3. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

jack the front end up and rotate the wheels one full turn and count how many times the driveshaft turns. if it turns just a little over 4 times then he had 4:10s which were very common.....if less than 4 full turns then maybe 3:73's, if it turns jsut over 3 times he has 3:08's...etc, etc...that make sense. I say check the front cuz the back is broke and they should be the same ratios. before doing any of that check for tags on the axles that say what gear ratio is, and maybe a RPO codes in the glovebox.....did amc put them there like most do?
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

The 84 with the I6 came stock with 3 options. 2.73's 3.54's or 3.73's. The 2.73's seemed to be most popular, thats my old 84 CJ7 had.
  5. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

To find out exactly, take the front cover off and rotate while looking at the ring gear, it should be stamped in the outside, Another way is to count the teeth on the ring gear and divide it by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.
  6. Flipper

from CT

Yeah I know how to figure it out by turning it etc. I also know that it was stamped on them. Jeep is not near us now and just trying to see whats out there in the classifieds etc.

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Did you break the housing,diff, or shaft? If its a shaft that you broke, just replace it. Easy and cheap.
  8. Flipper

from CT

He snapped one of the tubes which then screwed the axle.

Found one complete (may need brake work etc) for $250 in Meridan, so likely going with that.