1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

City Works Dept

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 24, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I snapped these as they were doing the street I live on. This is the City of Portland Public works. They have this loader mounted blower and I know they have a truck that is a snowblower they use to do the downtown area after it snows.
    Enjoy

Dsc01225.jpg

Dsc01224.jpg

Dsc01222.jpg

Dsc01221.jpg

2. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

AWESOME!! If you have more, by all means post them! Great pics!

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

That is all I have, they were going by just as I pulled in and they were moving pretty fast. They have no snow to plow so they got this to do. Pretty sweet machine.

4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Hey,

Have you seen the smaller ones that are articulating with the blowers on the front in Portland? My brother drives one of those for the city. They are pretty cool, but tippy. Generally they get 4 tips a season. You think there'd be a modification to counteract that.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Nice shots. Our city has a smaller one (not much smaller) for cleaning up the down town areas like that.- all the snow's gone (basically) here so I'll have to look at the yard to snap a shot.

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Sorry, for not replying sooner with this warm weather I have been over at Lawnsite more and more. Yea the smaller ones are those Holden machines, in the summer they use them to water around town. They blow snow pretty good. Because my city is union workers when there is no snow to plow they are out doing stupid things.
    Crazy good to see you around, haven't heard from you. What have you been up to? Did you ever get that Meyer mounted?

7. Flask

Flask Junior Member

"Because my city is union workers when there is no snow to plow they are out doing stupid things."

what stupid things would they be doing just because they are union employees?

8. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

They had no work because of lack of it snowing so they couldn't plow, so because they have to get paid a certain amount because a union contract they have them out blowing snow in the picture and hauling snow for no reason. These pictures are like 3 weeks after the last snow storm. No point in doing it which I call stupid because who ends up paying for something senseless? The city tax payers being me.

9. Flask

Flask Junior Member

no reason? there might be a sidewalk there.......there might be future storms and more snow has to go there......it could be a visibility issue or a drainage issue..

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's why they do it here- the banks obscure the sidewalks and/or the on street parking so it has to go- every storm.

11. Flask

Flask Junior Member

you really think there is no work for a highway department when there is no snow?

12. Flask

Flask Junior Member

hey justme........try to tell that ot the guy that thinks there is no work for a highway dept if its not snowing

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I suspect being those pictures are of Portland ME that they were cleaning up to make sure there is/was room for another storm (those banks looked pretty wide) which does tend to drop alot up there or they wanted to get the road cleared faster. Down in more metro cities like Worcester, or even down town Portland where space is a premium that kind of thing is a common occurance, but I suspect since those pictures are fairly suburban it's not common near him. Doesn't really matter road and city crews waste tons of $$ every year reguardless of being union or not. Anyway they are still some nice shots. Just noticed the town I work in has one of the smaller ones parked in the drive of a town yard- have to trry getting the camera out before they move it.

14. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am not trying to say it is the workers fault they there were doing it, it is the cities. They hire city workers on just for snow removal and they are in a union so they need so many hours a week. They do the clean-up downtown after it snows so the sidewalks and streets for parking are clear but they never do it where I live. We had a lot of snow but almost a month after the storm with not another storm in sight and just warmer weather seems senseless to me, espically when every night they are complaining on the news how they went way over budget.
    Just my opinion, it was great to see but with gas going up and a recent spike in property taxes it is the thought of how much it costs and is there a point I was saying was dumb.

15. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Great Photos

Great Photos,love to see equipment in action.
    Allan

16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Those are very nice photos, great looking equipment .

17. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

In Marblehead they do removal...

Hi, In Marblehead Ma, which is an old historic coastal town.Narrow streets lots of little shops etc they use the loaders and a large Sicard airport type blower after almost every storm to remove bankings.
    This is for many reasons including liability, visability,after many people getting run into backing out of their driveways it was cheaper to remove the snow.Once it turns to ice it is alot harder to move.
    The only problem they have is they dont have enough trucks to keep up with the blower.
    Allan

18. Surfside

Surfside Member

hey just noticed portland pics. great 2 see local. just wondering if u know of any used fisher plows in area. i have 1ton 94 chevy 2wd need a plow cheap:confused: First year in buisness with a rough start, was a sub in fortunes rocks bidd. didnt work out.:gunsfiring: Looking forward 2 hear from you. O:nod: yeah great name!