1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

City/Town plowing - seasonal hours

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hotel22, Oct 18, 2006.

1. hotel22

hotel22 Junior Member

Hey all..great sight for a newbie like me to get informed. This will be my first year pushing snow (if I decide its worth it). So far all I own is the truck 88 GMC 2500 (strong truck). I'm
    taking my time, getting well informed (cost: new plow set-up, insurance, winter tires, ect.)
    Yesterday I picked up a contract package from the City of Lynn. Their rate for my truck $57 an hr. they pretty much assured me of a route if I sign on. My question (and I know it will vary year to year) how many HOURS can I expect to actually be pushing snow on the CITY clock in an average season?? Guessing between 50-100 hrs. Thanks in advance for any/all replies.
  2. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Not knowing the specifics of your location, I can only give info on my experience.

I am retired CDOT. We only utilized contractors during declared snow emergencies (and then only if public crews could not keep up). Last year that amounted to about 5 days total. These contractors were pre selected by location, equipment available, and bid.

BTW - $57 for labor and equipment seems quite a bit low - we were paying over $150 hr for heavy equip - loaders, graders. PU and plow should be half that at any rate.

I, personally, could not contract to GOV (or anyone else) for $57 hr.:nono: Operating Costs + Labor + Profit = BID!payup
  3. 04f250xlt

04f250xlt Junior Member

Hotel22, I plow for the Town of Burlington, this is my 4th year.

$53.00 a hour for ¾-1 Ton, 8ft min

It all depends on the year, first year 2004-05 season. I had about 125 hours, 37 hours straight; first storm with my truck. Last year wasn’t much, about 45 hours

For Burlington contractors are called to plow secondary and minor roads after approximately 3" of snow. 4hour min, me and another guy are assigned the route, takes us about 2 hours todo the route.

I always have a check 7-10 days after the storm and if I need to travel for my REAL job, I just call the DPW and let them know that I wont be arounds for the week..

Dont for get all those (cost: new plow set-up, insurance, winter tires, ect.) are also write-offs come tax time :eek:)

Good Luck
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006