1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

City plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jenkins12, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

What do you guys think about subbing for the city doing side streets or cul de sacs. The going rate for pick ups is 90 an hour,
  2. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I'd say go for it, I subbed for a private company for a few years and they started really screwing us on hours. I got on with the town i live in and would never go back. They pay 80 per hour, and its all side roads. We get lots of hours and my route is less that 10 mins away from my house. I go through cutting edges faster but it beats doing parking lots, shifting every 30 seconds. They pay within 14 days of the storm, and this year they are offering direct deposit. payuppayup
  4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like a pretty good rate for that. It's hard to get that rate around here sometimes. I would go for it.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

and you know the city is going to pay, don't you love taxpayer money
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That is another big plus. That would probably sell me right there.
  7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Thats the best part....i sign the ticket after the storm and wait a week or so for payment.
  8. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

city/township plowing is pretty good as long as you have a good in yourself or your contractor has a good in.... I have known a lot of guys that have work with the city/town and they are the last people/company on the call list and dont always get called out... I sent a couple of my guys to do some township work last year, good pay and easy work. Kinda boring and slow as youre just driving in circles but its good money
  9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

City work is great because it is all hourly.

The only time that it sucks is when you follow a dumb @ss. Some villages decide what route you will push buy what time you arrive. If the guy that runs the route the snow before you sucks, you come into a world of not pushed back snow, ice around sewer grates, and worst of all ANGRY RESIDENTS who did not see your truck push the snow last snow but will have no problem reaming your @ss and telling you that your burried their driveway, they haven't been getting mail because of you, and your are a f-ing jerk. You more or less have to be able to just let them vent on you because argueing with them is about as pointless as trying to sell ice to an eskimo. When they are done, kindly tell them if they have any more complains to give the city a call.
  10. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Just make sure you have the proper insurance to do it. Public roads require special insurance. Atleast thats what my nationwide agent told me when i just renewed my policy.
  11. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The town i plow for gives me a set route, they call everyone in and let everyone go at the same time. I plow the route from start to finish, then they send in the 10 wheelers to sand. I needed a certificate of liability showing the township as the interested party on my insurance. Its 300/300 with 100,000 property damage coverage.
  12. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

Oh yeah about 2 million in general liability and bonds. But the city of naperville and bolingbrook are looking for them in IL.
  13. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

What do you plan on plowing in.......$90 an hour is an excellent rate especially for a 3/4 ton truck.....City plowing isn't bad at all, just make sure you get in good with the head guy...show up in a reasonable time, most towns give you an hour to come in but get there early as possible to show him you give a damn and wan't to do a good job for them....I'm from the boston area and plowed for the town of Framingham & loved it.....It's fun when the people throw shovels @ your truck during the day :laughing: ....But when they go to :sleeping: you bury there driveway....I was in a Mack 10 wheeler with 11' of plow so I could "own them"

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That's funny, those are the same citys that we plow.
  15. Michael M

Michael M Member

city plowing is the best type of plowing you can get. Once your called, you plow. They give you a 4 hour minimum if its a small storm. They are no pissed-off property managers complaining about your rates or just bitching in general. You don't have a homeonwer arguing wether they have 3 or 4 inches because they don't want to pay the higher rate. I can go on but you get the point. I plow commercial and have trucks on a city route. The city pays......
  16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Very good points.

90/hr for a truck is good.
  17. Deco

Deco Senior Member

if your content with the hrly. rate , fine , the pay period on that is uaually anywhere from 45-90 DAYS .also , keep in mind the required , insurance , workmans comp and being bonded . something to think about for sure .
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  18. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The town i work for only requires workers comp if you have anyone but yourself running your truck. They are great with pay, usually 7-14 days.
  19. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Junior Member

I have graders working for the city here.They pay me stand-by from Nov. 15th till April 1st. every day that I don't work.The side walk plows get the same deal.The stand-by is 7 days a week not 5.
  20. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Do the s/w plows get standby? I did not know that!