1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

City of Portland Truck goes through the ice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Feb 28, 2006.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Saw this and laughed. A city truck of Portland, ME went through the ice. It is just a half ton with a plow on the front. I drove by and saw it today and got a laugh and then saw it on tonights news. Here are the pictures.

For as cold as it has been I am surprised he went through!
  2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

haha where was he tryin to go? plowin the water.
  3. Quality1

Quality1 Member

Should of had a V plow, He could of flapped the wings back and forth to get out. xysport
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Hope that is not saltwater!:eek:
  5. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Silly Municipal Workers

They are Worth Every Penny of Their Pensions.[Less Expensive To Pay Them Not to work]
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thats too funny
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Can you say STUPID?

How warm has it been this winter?!?!... WAY to WARM to drive on the ice!

Anyone who drives on the ice is stupid, sorry. I don't care how cold it is, you still get warm currents where springs and such flow in. You can still have weak spots even in the thickist areas. If you want to loose your truck and plow and pay for environmental damage, drive on the ice.

With that said I have been stupid before, it was in Northern NH and it had been below freezing for weeks but it still made me nervous enough that I would not do it again.

If you live way north fine but in New England, I rarely consider it safe to drive on the ice in spite of what I see ie. rv's on Lake Winnepasauki. Does not matter how cold a winter it is you see it on the news at least once a winter that somebody has gone through the ice in their truck.
  8. Dupesy

Dupesy Member

so the big question is, what exactly was he trying to do?

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

No clue what he was trying to do, It happens every winter. They weren't plowing it because there was no snow. The report said routine maintenance.
    It has been really cold here in the single digits but I think the sun was on it and melted it. It is just a pond for skating and and duck pond in the summer.
  10. cja1987

Must have been trying to plow it, but still not a good idea. In a cold winter yes, (I still would not do it as far south as Portland) but when temps fluctuate like this, even thick ice can be significantly weaker then if it got up into the 40s or so in the warm spells then back below freezing. The 60s with rain then a deep freeze spells trouble, I would not be on the ice at all this year. Walking on it is one thing, its likely plenty thick even now but if you go through you either get your a$$ out quick, get to a warm place quick and your fine, get rescued and end up in hospital, or die. Truck goes through=Major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. My Ins company would probley drop me if I pulled something that stupid:dizzy:
  11. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

it seems to happen alot this winter. Been a story almost daily in the paper, you would think people would learn. They did mention recue operations can go upwards of 8-10000 at the owners expense. However they said if you had compresensive insurance sometimes it would be covered. Still not a spot you would find my truck.
  12. cja1987

13. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Yeah, I saw that. Usually they plow it with a little green tractor with a yellow snow blower.

14. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

They wouldn't want to sink a Deere!--The Chevy is okay to get wet! How silly--You need like a foot of good ice forme to even think about it!
  15. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

what would they even want to plow the snow on the ice for anyway. theres apparently a lot of ice/water there so no ones driving on it anyway
  16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

more than likely he went on the ice to get somewhere. (pump, etc...) not plow the ice.

I rarely see municipal pickups plowing. They mainly have the plow for cleaning up and small sites.
  17. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

well atleast he didnt sink the truck completly
  18. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I drive on ice all the time ever been on the chena river in Fairbanks. hell i have driving my uncles d-8 dozer out there to plow, even driving a few semi's from town down past the airport(for those of you that know that area). the river routinely gets to be over 5ft thick
  19. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ok thats alaska i wish i was up there it must be so cool to drive like that
  20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like typical city employees to me- useing city equipment on the clock to plow places they never should have been in the first place....