1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

city of chicago

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Jan 21, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I don't live in chicago but i try to visit A.O.A.P. Great food,culture,parks,etc. I have been there in the winter and the snow is wild!! What rate doe's the city pay private contractors?

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

They have not been getting much snow recently, they get about the same as Massachusetts for the most part. Chicago is a great city, one of the nicest of the Major cities i have been to, and i have seen almost all of them. Chicago is great.

3. lawn king

I couldn't agree more! I hope to take the wife to the taste of chicago for her birthday in july. We are having chicago withdrawal as 2001 was our last visit! I can't wait to see millennium park and have a carmans pizza. I read your conv. store post. Laughed my a$$ off, good job!

4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I don't think that Chicago uses private contractors for snow removal. I don't think the street and sanitation union would allow it.

If they do you better be a friend or family of Daley or the only thing you'll be pushing is your truck when it runs out of gas.

5. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner Junior Member
    from Chicago

I can't be sure either, but I do know you see Al Sanchez (Dir. of Streets & Sanitation) on the news all the time talking about their plowing / salting progress. This mostly pertains to roads & streets.

Are you speaking more about smalling buildings owned by the city? Like police departments & other governement buildings? I have no idea if the city does these or contracts them out.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Carmans Pizza is Closed..................... Just Kidding :rolleyes:

Carmans is a good place, they have a few other good pizza places there along with the original pizzaria uno. The Chicago Chop House is EXCELLENT, iam sure you have been there? I was there 2 summers ago, stayed in the Omni on The Magnificent Mile. Everything i saw was beutiful. There pizza is unique, its different then around here anyways cut in squares. Iam hoping to go out there again in April or May. Millennium park is worth seeing, Navy Peir is nice too.

Convient store; yea that was an interesting day, alot of snow too. It is well taken care of now, the town hooked them up with someone to plow it. Thats what they get for trying to get off cheap. The funny part was the owner his son were attempting to shovel the entire lot. Talk about pissing into the wind, the snow would melt faster then the month it would take for them to shovel the entire place.

7. lawn king

I read mike royko's book BOSS, i can relate to your post. R J D died at his desk, i guess that says it all!

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we have been getting snow lately with another round this evening .it has been snowing everyday this week.Have fun i Chi-town.

9. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

I dont think they use private contractors anymore, havent seen one in a while.

They usually only use private contractors for the snow REMOVAL, I guess they dont have enough dumps.

I rememerb it used to be upwards of $75/Hr to sit on call and do nothing I might add, in your truck waiting for it to snow out at ohare.