1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Circle K Stores

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john r, Dec 11, 2014.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Does any one know who takes care of the property maint. for these stores? Is there a national company finding contractors?

2. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

If you are asking this, then I would assume that it is because you are wanting to try to work for them. And if that is the case, then you better hope they DON'T have a NSP managing for them, (read the numerous post on this site about guys getting screwed over by NSP's). If you want to work for them, do it the old fashioned (and in my opinion the best) way and go in and talk to the manager/owner to see if you can get the account.

Dress nice (don't have to be in suit and tie, but don't go in in shorts and flip flops either) and be ready to give a quote and sign a contract on the spot if they hire you. If you're going to work for them, then you need to have a rap-ore with them anyways, right? So why not start off now?

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

A friend walked in, and walked out with the job here. Not a job I would want, but hey, money is money.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Love gas stations......

Oh wait, NJ has full service by law

Love gas stations........

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Is that a real law in NJ ? That would run up the cost fuel huh ?

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, its law

Don't know the details but the driver can't fill up the car.

7. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I did a circle k up here in nh last year. I was doing it as a sub for a buddy. Learned my lesson...gas stations are not fun in the least. There is not enough money in the world that would make me plow another gas station.

8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I take care of one close to me. Go in and talk to them, they are not a National.

9. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, that was kinda my thought as well, but hey, to each his own. For some reason, finding all the man hole covers for the in ground tanks with my plow just doesn't seem to me to be something I would want any part of. Much better, and easier on equipment, accounts out there to be had for sure. I've stopped at QT's here in my area while out plowing and think to myself "who in their right mind would want to try to plow this? Constant traffic, man hole covers, has to be 1st priority (in their mind anyways)." No thanks.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The only reason I don't mind the gas stations we have is because they're per push and per salting, and they love salt. They want multiple light applications...fine by me.

If I had to do gas stations like any of our other lots...hell no, I'd rather drive nails through my hands.

11. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Circle K bought out Cumberland farms earlier this year. We did their plowing. The store manger said the district office took care of the snow contract. In Jersey you Can pump diesel but not gas yourself. Go Figure.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  12. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Good to hear!!! I turned down one for such little money & in the ghetto.

13. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I have a mini strip mall like that. No obstacle tho. But the traffic is ridiculous!! They park anywhere you're trying to plow & in the winter they park on the sidewalk!?!

14. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I've only ever seen circle K's in Florida! Have they been up north for a long time??

15. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

They are like cockaroaches up here. Like every 10 miles or even less. Buddy of mine has like 33 of them. Don't know how he can plow them all over ohio. Money must be pretty good????

16. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

They have been up here as long as I remember. And the one I did was also in the ghetto....the reason I carry now:gunsfiring:

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We have 4 or 5 around here and they are all local as far as snow removal (not under a NSP) We did a couple until a guy I know, his girlfriend took over managing a couple, next thing I knew we were out and he was in. Pissed me off because these are the only places he plows aside from 3 or 4 other driveways, he flat out told me he dropped all his other accounts and only does these because his girlfriend wont ***** if they aren't done on time etc and its all the money he can make because he gets a social security check every month and gets cash for the driveways! Sucks too, they paid pretty well, 5-10 minute lots (easy plows) paid like 45 per time a few years ago.

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a couple great accounts! I hate the gas stations/convenience stores we do!!!!!!!!!! I mean they pay my bills so Im appreciative of that but they are a PITA x 100! If it isn't the idiots darting in, around and behind you, it's the stupid fuel filler caps popping off then having to go dig them out and theres one we do that of course there's nowhere to put snow except around back of the store. Fun times! fun times!