1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cigarette lighter

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by pkenn, Nov 6, 2008.

1. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

anyone know how many amps a cigarette lighter in a truck can handle safely? (for a light bar)

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Around 10.

3. stillen

stillen Senior Member

check your fuse to see what it is rated at.

Do not replace with a higher one to compensate.

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

is this for the minibar?

5. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

my buddy wants to trade me for his mini edge, but its a plug in,so im not sure.....im all over the place. i want the lmini iberty, but the "wife" is breathing down my neck about too many .."toys" ...so i was just mulling over my options:dizzy:

6. ColliganLands

im pretty certain it can handle the LEDS
    for strobes im not too sure about long periods of time. im sure someone on here will chime in soon enough. all my lights have always been harwired except a couple led dash lights i have

7. BlueLine Ent

For the sake of reliability and organization I always recommend that things be hardwired. Its a real b*tch to find and replace one of those little lighter fuses at 2am. LOL

8. ColliganLands

good point matt, can't you hardwire some of the cigarette plug models? so maybe it can be made to work

9. BlueLine Ent

You can hardwire anything with a cigarette plug, or anything for that matter. Just gotta know how.

10. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Im hardwiring my Whelen Responder as we type. It is magnetic mount with the cigarette plug. It has a very nice on/off switch with momentary. Im using that switch but hardwired. I will post some pics of my install.

11. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

For Cig plug in models LED and Strobe Mini Bars I wouldn't even question it, IF that's the only thing you have plugged in to it! I wouldn't even worry about most rotator mini bars either. Some times it is easy to look at it like this most single rotators draw any where from 5-8 amps including the motor. So take that 5-8 amps and multiply it by how many rotators in the bar. Or even better look in the specs for the unit!

I would always hardwired them any way. Then I know it is fused on its own and manufacture specs.