1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cig plug options

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ajordan193, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

My minibar light has a cigarette plug but i would like to have this on a switch. I don't want to hardwire this in because i don't want to loose the plug feature. What are my options? Do they make a cig plug with a built in switch?

Thanks guys

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

yes.

i have to thankyou. you just made something occur to me. my cigarette ligher doesnt work. never really thought about it but you just made me think........

that the guy who had the truck before me probably yanked the wires to run a minibar or something hardwired. since the lighter doesnt look like it was ever used at all so it couldnt be burnt out.

bet thats why it doesnt work....... been tampered with. lol.
    ill have to go look at some wiring tomorrow in the daylight.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know why if you want a switch on the plug you can't just unplug it. I can see putting a switch inline to have it in a more convenient location, but if you have to reach down the the cig lighter anyway...
    I thought about hardwiring my minibar but never got around to it. One thing I didn't like was after about five minutes the cigarette lighter plug would be extremely hot. I'm sure it was because the power draw was pretty high for a cig. plug, so a heavy duty switch would need to be used in any case. I'm trying to build an edge right now so I probably wont use the minibar this year.

4. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

They make an adatper, which you just plug your minibar's cig plug into, and it has a wire pigtail that you can hardwire.

This isnt quite the solution your looking for, but its another option, and you dont have to cut off the plug for hardwiring the light - which often voids the warranty

5. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

My strobe has a cig. plug with a switch built in at the plug. Maybe you can look for one at auto electronics store, RadioShack, etc....... Google it or eBay

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Galls and a few other places have a double plug with a female cigarette lighter plug on it. It's around I think the $15 mark. There is a switch on it to shut off one of the plugs.

7. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I purchased an extension with a switch on it.

8. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

For my mini light bar I bought a cigarete lighter plug and mounted it behind the backseat of my f250 so when i drop the plug in hte back window i can plug it in. I have a switch in up front to power the outlet which will then power the light. I just leave the Switch on on the cord from the light.

9. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I have a tool box in the bed of my truck and i have a cigarette lighter mounted inside the tool box and i have the switch that runs the lighter mounted on the side of my plow controller this way when i want the light on the truck i just plug it into the box and when i don't want it i pull it off the truck and throw it in the box. This works great for me plus i dont have to run the cord threw the window or the door. Good luck

Picture 463.gif

10. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

I really like that setup with the GPS unit all in one and easy removal. That is what i try to do in my truck is keep everything clean some what looking stock.

11. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Hard wire in another cig plug. Put that one on a toggle.

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Ya that is a really neat setup with the gps and all.

13. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

strobesnmore

Strobesnmore.com has a hardwire kit that alows you to plug your mini bar into a switch without cutting the cig plug off your bar and voiding warranties for 10$ i cant send the link but if you go to www.strobesnmore.com and look under cabels accessories and more you will find the Dashlight hardwire kit

14. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member