1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cig lighter for whelen patriot mini?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by plowguy43, Jan 8, 2010.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey guys I bought this lightbar from another member and it works great. I just don't want to hardwire it because I'm going to be trading the truck soon. I've seen on the whelen site that this light was available with a cig lighter-can I buy a generic cig lighter and wire up? If so can you recommend a certain one for me? (Link?)

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well, I can't seem to find an install manual for the mini-patriot on the whelen site. Does it have several wires or just two?

3. plowguy43

Several, red, black! Green, and white with black stripe

4. SafetyLighting

Ok, working on it, standby.

5. SafetyLighting

I have the install sheet, but it doesn't show a green wire. You only have four conductors?

6. plowguy43

There are more wires but I think they are for alley lights and a rear spreader light. I thought it was a green wire but maybe not.

7. SafetyLighting

Well, anyways, you could use any cig plug, but it needs to be rated for 15 amps. The whelen replacement would plug right into the circuit board, and it is only $26.

8. plowguy43

Do you sell those?

9. SafetyLighting

Ok, You have a 17" model right? That one had a 4/C cable including a green wire.

10. SafetyLighting

I would have to order it, might take a week or so.

11. SafetyLighting

12. plowguy43

Good deal, thanks for all of your help!

13. SafetyLighting

Anytime.

Blah Blah Blah, stupid minimum character rule., LOLOL

14. plowguy43

Hahaha gotta love it

15. plowguy43

Safety Lighting- sorry I was reading this thread from my phone and missed your post about it being a 17" model- my light bar is the 22" model. I don't know if that makes any difference?

Also- I went to radio shack and purchased a basic cig lighter plug that has a positive and negative terminal on the back that you just feed the wire's into. It has a 12amp fuse in it now, but I was thinking I could just change the fuse to a 15 amp and be set- am I wrong? I'm doing this just temporarily as I'm going to buy the one from whelen but want to get this thing mounted up and working incase we get some snow.

Thanks for all of your help

16. SafetyLighting

Well according to Whelen, the 22' model only cam with either a two wire cig plug or an 11/c cable. The 17" came with a 4/c cabel. Not sure what happened with yours lol.

As far as your Radio Shack plug, it may work fine. DO NOT change the fuse in it. If there is a 12 amp fuse, then that is all that plug is capable of.

17. plowguy43

What 11/c mean? Sorry for the ignorance. The current cable does have more than just the wires I listed, you can add alley lights, and there is a clear light for a backup/spreader light currently installed. When I hook up the red wire, black wire, and one of the others- I believe its the colored one I told you, it will power up the strobes and do the wig wag. If I remove the colored light, than it will do the wig wag with just the two front strobes. This is all I'm really concerned with now as I don't need the rear spreader light and can wire it up seperately if I need to.

This is more of a temporary setup since I plan on buying a new truck at the end of the season, I'm really just wanting the strobe to work without hardwiring it. Thanks again, sorry for being vague!

18. SafetyLighting

Oh ok, I was confused about the wiring on yours. 11/c just means 11 conductors or wires. The four wire colors you mentioned just happened to match the 4 conductor cable on the 17" so I thought that was what you had. Mystery solved, lol.

Anyways, you should be fine with that plug temporarily, but order the whelen stock one just to prevent problems down the road. I know you don't want the bar to stop working unexpectedly, so better safe than sorry.

19. plowguy43

Ok so the one you listed in that link should work with mine as well?

20. SafetyLighting

Yeah they used the same part for both the 17 and 22.