1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Premier, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you out there discount your services for churches, for "tax write offs" or if you just say the heck with it if they want my skilled services they are getting charged full price?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They have more money then God .Charge them.
  3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We take care of two churches, we treat them like any other business. Unless they are going to give you some sort of tax receipt for your donated services that would be valued a lot higher then the actual cost, there is no benefit tax wise to them.

The only thing we make sure of is that they get done right before people start arriving for service on Sunday's.
  4. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I quoted the largest church in town yesterday and they called me back shortly after....they asked "does this price include the church discount?"

I said "why does it snow less there?"

I attend church as well and I wish I could donate my services. Unfortunately, I can't. I hafta put food on the table for my family. That means I hafta plow snow for strip clubs, restaurants, churches, banks, etc.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

FYI, if you go the donation route be careful. You need to claim the value of the service for revenue and then you need to add the donation on the expense line.
  6. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I submitted a bid to a fairly large church I quoted it as a seasonal bid and gave them a chance to get 15% off if they paid the entire invoice by Nov.1st !!!! otherwise it was full price.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow my church. No charge. You really can't take a "deduction", because there is no income associated with it. I can write off my vehicle expense, that's it.

To say all churches have plenty of money is not terribly fair. Even large churches such as the Catholic church are struggling right now. The Catholic church just closed a couple churches in one city here in Maine.
  8. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

agree with the above post. churches are for the most part businesses that survive entirely on tithes and offerings....essentially a donations only business....stop and think how hard it would be to pay the monthly expenses when you have no idea what this weeks income will be.
  9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

LOL, going off the long list of buddies that do and most importantly DID church lots, i would'nt touch them with a 10' pole....these ended up being the highest percentage of slow and no pays of all their clients.

McFly89 said it best LMFAO!!! and since the church up the road owns the house next door to me i've feild more "can you do this or that for this much" questions than one business owner should ever have to feild in a lifetime...bunch of something for nothings is all it amounts to, so if God is willing to put somebody on their pro bono payroll to take care of maintenance and upgrades, then their prayers are obviously being answered and no need for a working family man to get involved;)
  10. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

:laughing: thats what i'd say too, i bid a churchone time a couple years ago and some guy came in giving church discount and i later found out he gave them 50% off.....:nod:
  11. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Ive had this one chruch for over 10 years and they have been great. No discount for them, but I try to keep the price the same each year. They always pay ontime with no problems.
  12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Umm, that won't be hard.
    Sounds like my life now:dizzy:
  13. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I plow a church for a small discount without any problems. I also plow my own church for free. I get a donation writeoff for that one, but actually plowed the whole season without thinking about it. My pastor mentioned it after the winter so I did write it off.
  14. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

I'm plowing a big new one this year and gave them about 10% off. Figure I still have to work and pay for fuel, labor, salt, equipment and they didn't mind at all when I explained that. I just only do a small portion if its not a church day(just so the pastor can come and go) and I do the entire lot if its the day before or morning of church.
  15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I do three churches, all pay, all complain, but it's money and I need it. I too have held the price for all three since I started plowing their lots. As a matter of fact one of my biggest accounts is a school and church combination.

Best of luck to you all !!
  16. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I only do one church and I treat them like any other customer. They always pay on time and have never complained.
  17. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I plow 6 churches and I only discount the one that i am a member of. IF I have some salt that I need to empty from the spreader they I will drop it at a few of them, no charge.
  18. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You guys that say you are donating your service... You can not write that off! A donation of service is not a legit write off.

Ten Tips for Deducting Charitable Contributions

IRS TAX TIP 2009-57

Video: Charitable Contributions

When preparing to file your federal tax return, don’t forget your contributions to charitable organizations. Your donations could add up to a sizeable tax deduction if you itemize on IRS Form 1040, Schedule A.

Here are a few tips to ensure your contributions pay off on your tax return:

1. Contributions must be made to qualified organizations to be deductible. You cannot deduct contributions made to specific individuals, political organizations and candidates.

2. You cannot deduct the value of your time or services. Nor can you deduct the cost of raffles, bingo or other games of chance.

3. If your contributions entitle you to merchandise, goods or services, including admission to a charity ball, banquet, theatrical performance or sporting event, you can deduct only the amount that exceeds the fair market value of the benefit received.

4. Donations of stock or other property are usually valued at the fair market value of the property. Special rules apply to donation of vehicles.

5. Clothing and household items donated must generally be in good used condition or better to be deductible.

6. Regardless of the amount, to deduct a contribution of cash, check, or other monetary gift, you must maintain a bank record or a written communication from the organization containing the name of the organization, the date of the contribution and amount of the contribution.

7. To claim a deduction for contributions of cash or property equaling $250 or more you must obtain a written acknowledgment from the qualified organization showing the amount of the cash and a description of any property contributed, and whether the organization provided any goods or services in exchange for the gift. One document from the organization may satisfy both the written communication requirement for monetary gifts and the written acknowledgement requirement for all contributions of $250 or more.

8. If you claim a deduction of more than $500 for all contributed property, you must attach IRS Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions, to your return.

9. Taxpayers donating an item or a group of similar items valued at more than $5,000 must also complete Section B of Form 8283, which requires an appraisal by a qualified appraiser.

10. Contributions made for relief efforts in a Midwest disaster area receive special benefits. For more information, see Publication 4492-B, Information for Affected Taxpayers in the Midwest Disaster Areas.

For more information on charitable contributions, check out Publication 526, Charitable Contributions, which is available at IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
  19. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Get ready for an audit!!!!!!! :cry:
  20. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i had done one church around here for about 15 years, a couple years ago they said one of their members was going to do it for free, they called me back around the middle of Dec last year, said the members truck blew the engine and was not going to fix it, so we fit them in for the rest of the year, 3/4 of the lot is gravel, in March they called and complained about stones on grass, I sent 2 of my guys to clear the stones, whole day doing it, ate the cost, called last week and said another member is going to do it this year, didn't charge for the stone removal, didn't know if was my guys or the other guy that put the stones there, all the great service we gave them earned me the words, " can I count on you again if our member has problems and can't get it done?" I guarantee if it happens again, i will charge for the stone removal next time, but i won't turn down the work, money is money.