1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Church Taxes

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jb1390, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am plowing my church at no cost to them this winter, and wondering how to claim it on my taxes. Do I get to deduct the worth of the service, or do I only deduct depreciation for wear and tear on my equipment?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You make them a "bill" for the true value of your services and they will make you a receipt

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

provide a invoice for the value (what you would get paid for a normal push) and they should give you a form to fill out and provide to your accountant for deduction purposes.

4. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Do you have a real plowing company? If so then you can claim it as a "donation".
    Ask your accountant.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you claim it as a donation you need to put the value of it in your income statement.

6. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Really, I didnt know that.
    Probably because I have never done anything for free.

Sorry for the bad info.

7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Off topic, but I heard that churches don't pay income tax, all ministers are exempt from being taxed! Must be nice! lol

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

As is the case for any non profit

9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Have you ever heard of Benny Hinn, hes always on T.V advertising his international church servises & all his profit is tax free! He makes hundreds of millions every year, check his link out! http://www.bennyhinn.org/default.cfm

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The church is non-profit, not the minister. Ministers pay taxes on their wages, unless they are corrupt.

11. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

That is correct, the pastor pays income tax and other deductions just like any other employee of the church

12. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Errrr...... but he/they do get a lot of perks that no one sees.:)
    And, FWIW, as a church donation the deduction is only a percentage, not a full deduction off the top.
    Since I work for a church (sexton), It's very hard to please the snow people. For some reason they think that even though it's for free, they expect to be first on the list, no matter what............

13. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Find out if the church has a charitable organization number and if so just get a receipt for your time spent and that becomes a tax write off. Well at least here it does. tymusic

14. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

our church sends out a donation form showing what you donated . im sure if you keep a total as to what the service would cost if they paid they could do the same.

JR