1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Church Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA Farmer, Nov 30, 2004.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

My cousin just called me and said they will be entering their new church Dec. 26th and they are looking for someone to push the church lot. I was wondering if anyone else pushes a church and if so do you charge full price or cut your price in half or even do it for free since it is a church. I just didnt know since its Gods house if I should give them a deal or not. Thanks for any suggestions. Kenny

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I bill them quite a bit and they issue me a cheque. Then I sign the cheque back to them and they give me a receipt for a contribution. Pays for the gas,

3. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

Most Churches that I know of have plenty of dough and dont pay taxes, so I would charge normal rate...although if they werent prioity plows except a couple of times a week I might offer a slight discount. Would you be responsible for the walks also? I guess in the end your liabilty is the same so then your price should be. jmho

4. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

I plow a church it one of our biggest accounts. As far as being the Lord house you need to do what you feel like he's prompting you to do. But my advise is charge what you need and tithe what you are supposed too. But listen to your spirit most of all.

5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

church rates

Hmmm... Full rate and give 10% tithes back?

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I plow two churches one that i attend and another one, the one that i attend i to plow, and bill them then sign the check over for tax reasons I do keep a portion to offset my taxes from showing the income, the other one I charge about two thirds a normal charge per lot size. Normally most churches don't have a lot of money laying around however they do budget snow for removal. It's your choice.

7. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

"SOME" denominations I agree..."others"DO have the money...p.s. I think i know you...used to live in bay city.

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got a church that I do. I charge them FULL price. They've got plenty of money. :nod:

9. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Thanks for all the responces you've all been a big help, Thanks Kenny

10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I plow 4 churchs and charge them the same I would charge anyone else. I do offer a discount if they pay me within 10 days of billing. I sweep there lots in the spring and strip them if they are blacktop also grade and compact them if dirt before plow season. Samd discount applies.

11. DJ Contracting

Repo Man I have lived here all my life and have been plowing since 98" so I could have seen you around. How long have you been away from Mi.? anyway It's 3:30 AM and I'm going out plowing second good snow fall have a good one guys.

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I do three churches lots and they are all charged normal rate.

13. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Sice 2000... Used to drive for Bob's towing

14. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is the principle of the thing, I never charge a church full price either. I give them at least 33% of normal rate and through in some free stuff too.

15. DJ Contracting

Well it's 10:15 AM and we just got done with all the accounts time to get some sleep. Repo man if you drove for Bob than you know that i keep all my equipment in is storage yard (in the back corner) so we more than likely know each other I used to work in the winter for Bob's son Mark @ M&R Auto.

16. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

no breaks - maybe if its your church

I have a church that I call home, and would bid it the same as any other place. The only way they're going to get their discount is if I won the bid at my own church becuase of an "in" with the decision maker, or the fact that I was a member got me the job.....then sure, discount it.

The idea that the church has less money is a legitimate argument, so just remember that the lowest bidder will win.....which is what the church wants, and if that bid happens to be yours, you both win! It works the same with any other business!

But, again remembering that I belong to a local church, I say this with caution: as much as we may agree/disagree with it,

A church is a business.

A elects a board of Trusetees and/or a board of directors. Those directors are representing the church body when they hire employees.....Ministers, janitors, office personel, etc. The church collects money every week, the church spends money every week. Just becuase they don't pay taxes, doesn't mean they don't calculate and report a net income....they're just not taxed on it. In fact, they even have their own Tax ID number.

I may have ruffled some feathers, and I agree that the function of a church is not to make money, but money is what makes it all possible. Nice building, a sign out front (advertising) and a good message, is what gets people into the seats. The more poeple in the seats, the more money is collected, the more the church will grow and expand their ministry. Churches provide a service, which is paid for (gratuitously) by their members and visitors who benefit from the service they recieved.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that!

17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

thats ground up keep they can afford it its run like a buisness anyhow

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Amen...Rob

19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't think twice about plowing them and charging, but then again I am not a church go-er in the first place. I would consider making a percentage based contribution as a gesture of good faith in the community but probably wouldn't go further than that. I would also consider doing the same with schools. Especially if it was tax-deductable :p