1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

church parking lot $$

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fordrulz, Dec 18, 2013.

1. fordrulz

fordrulz Junior Member

Kind of stuck on what to charge a local church who needs a plow guy. The lot it's flat with plenty of room for snow and two driveways.well take a good half hour to plow. Just need to plow. No sanding or shoveling. My thoughts were $100 per storm but the wife thinks that is steep and they are looking to have it done for cheap. Any thoughts? ?
  2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

IMHO charge the going rate. They already get enough discounts from the government and don't pay their fair share for community services.
  3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

A church is a business. Charge them the same as anyone else with the same size lot and specs. They have a revenue stream and a budget just like any other business. You still have the same slip and fall liability. If you are a man of faith and would feel better by donating a certian dollar amount in powing services before you start charging, that's up to you.
    Btw, everyone is looking to have everything for cheap.
  4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Time for them to tithe to you.
  6. fordrulz

fordrulz Junior Member

Thanks guys i am not a member of the church i just have a friend that is who asked if i would be interested in plowing
  7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Fuel+Insurance+Wear and tear+Time+Profit=Cost per push. Only you know the value of each.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^^ Yup ^^^^^
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have a church with a .8 acre rectangular wide open lot with 175ft of walk. I have tiered rates which start out @ $165.00 for 1-4", this includes shoveling the walks and de-icer app on the walks/handicap parking places (about 65#).
    Total time is 25minutes to plow and shovel.
  10. NThill93

NThill93 Member

I plow a church with a lot about 3 acres, a driveway up a hill where the church is located and the hill going back down, also all walks. I charge the going rate I would anyone and at the end of the year if i made a lot of money off them I give some back in a donation. I am also a parishioner of the church, so that makes a difference.

Some advice you're going to be married to the church, Not sure of the denomination or how big of a church it is, but my church also has a school for k-8, so anytime it snows i'm there sanding the hill and salting walkways. Insurance is also quite expensive. I live on Long Island so everything is more expensive, but to carry a snow plowing endorsement and double the liabilities on my current insurance( which is for my landscaping company) they doubled my yearly payment.

Just some advice :drinkup:
  11. fordrulz

fordrulz Junior Member

Thanks it is s small local church class on Wed night and mass on Sundays that's all.
  12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Lots of foot traffic at a church (I service 2) so make sure you have a written agreement that your not responsible for sidewalks or ice.
  13. Stove

Stove Member

I have no problem with any of my churches... I service them, invoice them, and they pay immediately! :angel:
  14. fordrulz

fordrulz Junior Member

What type of insurance would be involved i only plow my yard and a neighbor's now and possibly this church i am not commercial
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  15. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

If you accept money then yes you are commercial and a business.
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need to have them give you a church envelope with just cash in it!
  17. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

I am the facilities manager at a larger church with a daycare and a preschool as well. When we used to bid it out in the fall we looked at the bids and went with what is reasonable for the level of service we expected. Not the lowest in most cases. It is a budgeted item just like any other business. If you are competitive and do a good job that is what was important to us before I took it over myself. One thing to keep in mind is snow does cost money to clear but it costs a lot more in lost tithing when the lot is full of snow and people can not attend!
  18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I haven't seen a church that didn't have any money
  19. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Get one operations point person to deal with and explain it is up to him to organize all the transactions. This will eliminate you beng on the listening end of who has to approve what. It is easier for some to organize a $400.00 breakfast for members at Dennys (which is paid with a tip immeadiately) than to pay a $125.00 push.