1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

church made me ***** at you guys

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jay brown, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

okay so a church(i don't push their snow) calls me on a friday night after i had all my equiptment put away and was showered from a long day of spreading, and wanted salt ASAP because they had a wedding the next day. we had 3/4" of ice on the ground, i told them the price would be high.....so i warm up my truck, go to my salt bin and take off the tarp, warm up my loader, load the salt, put the loader away in the shed, spread the salt, put truck away in the shed, and resume my quite night at home 1.5 hours later.....now they are bitching because i charged them $350 for 1.75 ton of salt ($200/ton).....by the time i treat the salt it cost me $135/ton , not to mention the rental cost of the salt bin, loader cost, truck and insurance cost and on and on and on......they wanted to know if i could take less $$$$...how can i take any less???? I didn't make anything to begin with......what the heck if someone charges me "too much" and i didn't get a bid from them i pay the darn bill.....BTW i did an excellent job salting for them!!!

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

So did you make up all your cost on one bill (the church) I mean don't get me wrong i want to make money salting too however it does seam high for approximately 1.75 ton (i say approximately unless you have a scale). Do you think this could turn into an account for you later (just a thought). All the cost of renting treating, pick up drop off, and so on come with the industry, I'm sure you'll make it back through out the year. I would charge a little more and explain it to them that do to the conditions this is what the price will be, this approach work better (they understand conditions) more so than the cost of everything. Good luck.

Just wondering what your normal charge would be?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. Jay brown

it wont turn into an account for me as they already have someone to push snow(he doesn't salt though)...also they usually salt by hand and bags, this just happened NOT to work being that we had 3/4" of ice...thanks for the help though!!

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

$200/ton sounds cheap to me for a on call/ASAP job

5. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I wouldn't adjust anything....... $200 a ton billed is cheap if you ask me. Most couldn't touch that price if they were using bagged.

6. Jay brown

that's kinda what i thought...should've charged $400/ton and lowered it to $300 when they complained...

7. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

You lower your price once and they'll do it every time... It's a church they have the money. What do you think the wedding paid to be there. Think they got a break on the price, I doubt it.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

We never paid to use the church:confused:

PS who the hell gets married in Jan

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

The salt alone probably cost more than half that bill. Then, like you say, add in all the expenses of running a business (truck, salter, fuel, insurance, advertising, insurance, etc, etc, etc, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc...............oh, and don't forget you actually want to make a little........wait, I know it's a bad word.............profit) That little itty bitty profit THEN has to go towards paying personal expenses such as mortgage, light bill, heating fuel, tv, phones, children, etc, etc, etc, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc....................PLUS, doing it spur of the moment late in the evening.

They're lucky it wasn't twice what you more than fairly charged them.

10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Someone that was pregnant in August.

11. Jay brown

lmao.......

12. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

Here they charge you.... actually they call it a "donation"

13. Jay brown

we had to pay for the church and for the priest

14. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Around here they are charging $500/ton, that doesn't include call in's

15. Jay brown

thanks for all of the replies, i've decided NOT to give them a price cut....

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Good for you. That was a great deal for them anyways

17. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Didn't they ask how much first? I don't see the problem w/ the price at all. It really depends how much cost you have in it & what your rates are. Don't be afraid to tell them what your costs are. It quiets people up pretty quick to find out how much profit is actually in a 1-time app.

18. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Dude you over charged them.........

19. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I wouldn't adjust anything! Sheet, I'd charge more and call it a B!tching fee just for listening to them. Just a word for the wise, always... always quote a minimum fee on a call out. Did I mention ...always.

Another word for the wise, after your all showered up and ready for a BJ and Bed... Try adding this to your contract...

Quoted rate is for plowing and/or salting that is done as part of a regular service when all other accounts are being checked or serviced. Special request plowing, or “on call” services may be subject to a minimum charge due to driver availability, and/or the need to hire an outside contractor. Customer would be advised of the possibility of minimum charge at time of this special request.

20. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Nice fine print........make it finer