1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chug chug chug

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by royallawn, Jan 11, 2013.

1. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

heres the problem. first off, not the blade or the harness or controller. swaped pump to another truck. first, plow would angle lsft and get stuck. it would try to kick right but won't go. i got it angling but when it first starts either way it is slow at first, like chug chug chug then no problem. any ideas? i;ve changed the valves, fluid, cleaned filters. i just got this plow from a friend who bought a new one. he had it in the shop last year. i believe they checked the crossover valve whlile there. thanks

2. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Check for bent a-frame,rams.
    Also meyer is notorious when worn out, it will actually bind itself full left or right.
    One thing you can try, when angling stop short about 2 inches each way,
    if it works fine weld 2 blocks on the a-frame ,one on each side so it does not angle too far
    and cause a mechanical bind.

3. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

it's not the a frame. i took the pump off of another truck that it was doing it on and put it on another truck. differnt plow and harness-controller.

4. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

What pump model# is it?
    e47,e58,e60, etc.,...

5. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

it is a e47

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

When you changed the fluid did you include emptying rams. I had a similar thing on my old (20year) arctic this fall. I changed the fluid completely and it went away. The fluid in the rams was white with moisture.

7. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

lets say you have plow all the way to the right,

when you hit left, the only thing operating is the motor-NO VALVES.

So, i would check the coupler that is on the pump,you can remove it
    and connect hose direct to pump. Personally i would remove the
    other coupler and go direct to take couplers completely out of picture.
    (we have had brand new couplers not operate properly so dont hesitate to remove
    for testing purposes.)

possibly the cross over relief valve but generally the plow angle will not speed up, it will remain a dog left and right is the oring is leaking slightly

8. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

its a differnt plow and rams. same problem.

9. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

the couplers are new but i think i will change the ones on the pump and see. the ones on this blade are differnt so it can't be them. it is working ok. it just chugs a few times then operates just fine. like i said, he put it in the shop last winter and i think they replaced the cross over.

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Are you getting a good ground?

11. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

yes, ground is good.

12. greekmaster

greekmaster Junior Member
    from IOWA

Correct couplers are important. I changed my couplers to 5000psi type. If I understand this correctly, according to Meyer manual crossover relief needs 3400 or 3800psi before operating. Many guys just use cheap old 3000psi couplers. Just changed my "c" valve and gave the old gal(E47) a flush using kerosene. Rams included. Works like a charm!!
    www.***********************.com Lots of good info here. go to bottom of page

13. greekmaster

greekmaster Junior Member
    from IOWA

Blocked out web address. may have to use Meyer tab up top.

14. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

i think they are 3000 psi. i have them on all my pumps though with out any problem. when it angles all the way left, it sticks sometimes. if yhou manualy move it a couple inches back right, then it works fine. i just have it for a backup but want it working. supposed to snow tonight so i think i'll leave it on and work it.
    the only thing left to change is one swivel. didn't have another one to try.

15. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

I would definitely add the about a 2" block on your a-frame so it cannot
    go as far left and right as you pointed out.

When you look at were Meyers mount there rams on the sector, they are very close to the proximity of the center bolt. As things were yo can go too far left and cause a mechanical bind which sounds exactly like what you have. Good luck tonight, SPW

16. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflag take acorn nut off crossover relief valve.. turn screw in all the way then back out 1/2 to1 full turn .see if that helps.. it sounds like cross over never got set right . might be new but to loose..

17. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

it cant be binding up. this blade works just fine with another pump on. this pump has done this on 2 other set ups.

18. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

i'll check that out. i think he had the cross over worked on last year but who knows. it ended up not snowing much last night so i didn't get to test it.

19. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

From Meyer:

Attached Files:

20. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

is the pump putting out the pressure it should be? It's more than likely over extending due to wear on the sector and a frame but i would do a pressure test first to make sure its operating at its full potential and if so then add the blocks.