1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chrysler is now big brother.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ThisIsMe, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I was fishing through the manual trying to get the horn not to blow when the alarm is triggered by the key fob (instructions did not work in the manual), and I noticed something interesting in there.

Seems that when the air bags deploy the computer records all data for the 2 seconds prior to deployment. This data can be collected by court order by any government agency, and by Chrysler by court order.

Big brother is getting closer all the time.

I see, in the works, a car computer that will alert the cops when you are speeding.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It will not alert the cops.:nono: You will be issued a ticket automatically:nod: .
    No cop necessary.

Kind of like a red light camera.;)

3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Darn I was hoping it would alert the police. I was planning on jacking the rear-end of the truck up at the end of the driveway and setting the cruise control for 110MPH.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Lol...

Just think of all the money that would collect:dizzy:
    And I would be broke and a pedestern... :angry:

police dispatch:

Squad 13, there is a report of a vehicle traveling at excessive speed at 123ThisIsMe Ave.

Just to find her on blocks..

I have no Idea what there up to (big brother) but if they could watch us like that they would....:dizzy:

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Actually if you have ever driven a truck (CDL type) in Europe and know what a "paper dial" is they have been monitoring that for years. Problem is it works over there.

6. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

CDOT is going to absolute computerized monitoring of all her trucks. They will be able to locate position within 50ft, speed, precip, road temp, plow position, wing position, application rate.

Why not just try and keep experienced personel? Computers are cheaper?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

SHHHHHHH! Don't tell anybody! Ford has been doing it since the1998 model year, and GM since 2000. They say it's strictly for "crash research".:nod: And if you have a GM vehicle with On Star,they alway know where you are.

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Really? Go figure. Learn something new every day.

I can see the Onstar recording info coming inot court hearings now.

Prosecutor "Yes your honor, according to the data recovered from the onboard computer, the dependent left Bob's Tavern at 12:45pm. As well the computer recorded a number of undeed steering corrections................"

George Orwell's dream come true...........just a few years late.

If only for crash research, then why does it say a court order can get the info?? hmmmmm

Then again I am sure that since you accepted the vehicle with the manual in the vehicle you consent to any court order demanding the info. Great. :)

Communism was a bad thing why?

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

are you serrious??????

just out of curriosity, did you used to work for GM at one point as well as some plow dealers or manufacturers? you sure know a TON about both!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, I'm serious.There's thousands of cars and trucks running around with what used to be referred to as "black boxes".Their actually called VDR's..which stand's for Vehicle Data Recorder's. Their basically the same thing that's used in the airplane industry. The manufacture's use them exactly like the crash detective do after an aircraft accident.They record thing's like vehicle speed,gear position,throttle position,brake application,deceleration rate's, that sort of thing.The OEM's use this info to see how the driver and the vehicle react's in a crash situation. It doesn't really have anything to do with "big brother watching". The OEM's didn't inform the public that they were doing this as they were afraid the public wouldn't buy their car's if they though that someone was "spying" on them. If fact, now that you know about this doesn't it make you feel like you'd been "spied" on, LOL? As to my knowledge from the OEM's mcw, no I don't work directly for GM or Ford but I have a few "inside" connection's to them so to speak. Also, my plow knowledge comes from working for several different dealers over the years (and still network with some) and I currently repair plows in my own shop. Mostly Boss, Western and Meyer as these are the most popular plow brand's around here.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

thats pretty cool....glad i have a 97!!! Those connections sure provide you with a lot of knowledge as you are a HUGE HUGE HUGE help to so many people on this site!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:) Thanks buddy, That's why I'm here......just enjoy helping people that need it. That's actually how I got into the business in the first place. I belong to some other site forum's too (not snow related) and it just give's you a good feeling when you know you've lent a helping hand to someone in distress.I'm a firm believer in the old addage that if you help someone they'll return the favor someday.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  13. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I don't think the "black boxes" were implemented throughout the individual manufacturers lines. As far as I know every manufacturer put them in some models, I think the 3/4 & up truck lines were ignored for the most part.

Could be wrong, been wrong before!

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, I'm sure other manufacturer's beside's Ford and GM use the VDR's too, especially now. I know for a fact that Toyota was actually the first to use them in their formula one race car's starting in the early 90's. As to the heavier duty truck's being ignored.....yea,for the most part they are........but not all of them:D!

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I hate to say it but from what I've been seeing lately, the "vision" your seeing isn't that far off! :realmad:

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I think the VDR will be obsolete before to long.

As every one born will have a GPS chip embedded in them at birth.

They will know :eek: :waving: lol

17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Well at least at that time we will all be assured that we are living in a police state. Unless of course if you are an illegal alien. In that case they would turn monitoring feature off in the car and you would be free to do as you like.

18. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I have to "somewhat" agree with that statement. :gunsfiring: Need to protect our borders....keep them darn Canadians out :realmad: :dizzy:

We have had black boxes in cars for quite a few years now. In my experience in Law Enforcement the only time I have ever seen the information used was in the case of a VERY serious or fatal crash. Its very time consuming and expensive to get the data retrieved and processed.

Now Im not saying it couldnt be used differently. But if I were to be leery of vehicle options I would be more leery about Onstar than the black boxes. Man, they can tell you anything about that car. Any function the computer makes can be uploaded by onstar. Whether you are subscribing or not.

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

True in some cases it could be used for good. I know of a fellow in Germany who smacked his Mercedes into a tree back in '94. He was drunk and left the scene. Next morning he reported the car stolen in an attempt to get away with it. Cops showed up and asked for the key so they could recover the car. Turns out the computer logs which key starts the car. The key that he handed the police was the last key to start the car. They returned and arrested him. Lot more trouble then he originally was in for sure.

After seeing NYC publish a bunch of social security numbers and other details on a public website (including Donal Trump I heard), I would much rather not have the government have any access to any info of mine. Bad enough that the USA is the only country that has an issue with identify theft, due to poor privacy laws and consumer protection laws, what is next? Crooks gaining access to your Onstar so they can tell when you are not at home?

It might be time to fly down to Mexico, get me a new fake passport down there, and walk across the border. Then I will have nothing to worry about. Free welfare even.

Average time for an illegal immigrant to get on welfare is 5 weeks. Average time for a disabled veteran to get on disability, 14 months. Lesson learned? Do not serve your country, leave it and come back illegal. LOL

20. TenOfClubs

TenOfClubs Junior Member

on star will be used to deny warranty claims.

mitsubishi has used VDR's to deny warranty claims regarding street racing issues. They knew where the car was, at what time, and how it was being operated.

Onstar has already made phone calls to car magazine testers when running cars through the cones.

its gonna get ugly!