1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chrysler 727

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rottie, Jun 3, 2003.

1. rottie

rottie Junior Member

:realmad: I bought a 89' d250 with a 360 bolted to a chrysler 727 trans. The transmission was stuck in drive when I bought it.(Stripped out splines on the gear selector). That I fixed, and I also installed a B&M shift kit while I had the valve-body out. A couple of months after I did so I lost reverse completly. It went with no notice.
    Is it possible that something went wrong inside the valve-body? you can feel reverse engage, but there is nothing there. If not the valve-body, are these transmissions worth rebuilding? How about if the vehicle came stock with a plow.:nono: Any knowledge would help!!!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Those trannies are pretty much bulletproof,if built correctly.

Sounds like something is amiss inside,which took out reverse.Either it was already on it's way out before,or you changed something in the valve body which created the probelm.Simple adjustments are important too.John Dimartino is the guy to talk to,and I'm sure he'll reply here soon to help you out.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Rottie,it dont sound good. Pull the trans pan,and have a look at the rear band.Is it real loose,is the pan full of metal/band fiber. If so,you'll need to pul it out,but before you do,you need to find what caused the band to burn. My guess is a cross leak applied reverse while you were going forward.. This is one of the potential problems when installing shift kits,(the higher line pressure turn tiny cross leaks into BIG ones.Find and fix the leak first before you burn up another band/reverse drum.If you cant do this yourself,take it to a pro,a 727 shouldnt cost to much to rebuild.