1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas ruined Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

5-8" of snow drifts of 12 - 18
    Everyones snug as a bug and dont care about the driveway.

Phone is usually ringing off the hook at 3"

Calls are barely trickling in.

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Hey, at least ya got some:D
    We had a flurry this morning:(
    Hope ya had a merry Christmas,
    Mark K
  3. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

snow will never ruin Christmas, last year we recieved 7 feet from christmas eve to christmas morning and I loved ever minute of it!
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

could be worse, I ripped the blade & mount off of the bronco when I hit a unstaked island doing 25 mph :eek: :eek: ate the steering wheel and bent it real bad, broke the pump off of the headgear and made life hell. got any spare pumps? :(

5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

6. BIG M

BIG M Member

Yea I hear ya about the phone not ringing today.
    We got 4 to 5 inches of the heavy wet stuff here.
    I went and did some accounts that have to be open early thursday.
    I had some tell me lets wait till tomarrow.
    I told them alright but if it freezes up we're gonna have a hard time with it.
    I guess there trying to save on the holiday rates.
    Lets see how it works out for us all today, I hope it's all good news.

Oh yea...wheres the guy with them cookies.
    They'd go great with my coffee right now.
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Big Nate,

That's gonna leave a mark!!!! I've Got a couple of rebuilt meyer E60 and E47 units. Nice 4hr run to Erie from Toledo. If I'd know earlier today I could have sent it with a buddy returning to Detroit this morning.

Felt like the Matag repair man yesterday. Was nice to have guys up and running for the day with few breakdowns. Call if you want to make arrangements for a pump. Ups 1 day. Jerre
  8. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Well, I've been plowing since Christmas morning. Problem is, besides my contracts.... all 1 or 2 Hours in between each call... :rolleyes:

Just finished helping Nate, :waving: I'm home AND i THINK ALL DONE 2:25 am 12-27 ... except sending out the invoices.... Now, which ones did I doooo.....?

Never seen so much feet dragging on calling a plower... Two days after the storm, they are still trickling in, one every two hours.
  9. Big Nate's Plowing

:waving: laid downb 300 lbs of salt in the front and it started to loosen up, it will melt in the morning thanks for lending a hand.

Jerre, I'll give you a call or e-mail, need a e-47 cant afford a e-60:(

10. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since it happened on Christmas this seemed as good a place as any:

Here's a laugh for you guys... I was leaving my apartment Christmas morning to touch up my route (about a seven inch snow here in St. Louis Christmas Eve) and saw an oriental woman doing wierd stuff in front of her car that was backed into it's space. I stopped after I passed her, and watched her in my mirrors in absolute disbelief.

She had a blue beach sand pail, and a teeny tiny shovel - the stuff you build sand castles with at the beach. She would fill the pail, then dump it at the back of her car, then repeat. She wasn't plowed in or anything, and the lot hadn't been touched.

I backed up, rolled down the window, and said "It's none of my business Ma'am, but what the he** are you doing???". She pointed at the blade, then at the snow in front of her car. I cleared her a path, and laughed the rest of the day on that one! From her broken english and accent, I guess she had never seen snow before... God only knows how she drove in it.. I sure didn't stay in the area long enough to find out! Wanted my truck to be way far away from that danger! Shoulda hired her to do sidewalks for me. :)

11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I loved it. 1 phone call.

No one at the commercials, then no one at homes.
  12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think you got what you deserved Nate. No one should plow any lot at 25 mph. Slow down, and these things wont happen.
  13. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Hey Nate don't feel bad.... last yr i had this driveway it was about a 1/2mile long and i was late and in a hurry. So with the foot to the floorboards i was doing about 40-45 mph and went to hit the brakes and found out the driveway was a sheet of ice.....make a long story short i blew right though the snowbank at the end of the drive and buried my truck in the backyard.........so now i was real late at finishing my route
  14. Big Nate's Plowing

guess I wont be calling you for a u-edge next week, I'll call the guy in dayton.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2003
  15. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Hahhhaa... Christ~
  16. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Whatever Nate, you are the type of guy who would hit something at 25 mph, break the u edge and expect a new one anyway. Do all us artic groomer dealers a favor and buy from falline or CUES.
    If you drove for me and hit something with the plow down at anything over 15 mph, you would be shown the door.
    Why would you be plowing so fast in an area you arent familiar with? That to me shows lack of wisdom and experience, and that my friend leads me back to a statement I made a while back.
    The stupid shall be punished.
  17. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'll guess you may be one of our younger members here, judging by your response to Dino's post. Plenty of threads here have members telling other members they got what they deserved for different situations they posted about here. Nobody that I can remember reacted in the way that you did. We all make mistakes & most of us here are mature & professional enough to accept it & to accept that posting our mistakes in a public forum will result in others' letting us know about it. No big deal. I've hit plenty of things in the snow from not plowing correctly, plowing too fast, or other mistakes I've made. I certainly wouldn't throw a hissy fit because someone here pointed out that my mistake created a problem for me, or could have caused a worse problem than the one that may have happened. You posted in a public forum that you were using a piece of equipment in a manner that most of the manufacturers of said equipment say not to in their service or equipment manuals. (In your case, you have posted in your signature that you are using a Meyer plow, the Meyer manual states "maximimum plow speed is 20 MPH, IF conditions are ideal and IF operator is familiar with the area to be cleared") Take your lumps like a man and face the facts, because a hissy fit like that one may actually have many members here putting you on their Ignore lists LOL. I've hit things going faster than I should have, and in lots that I wasn't familiar with, and I certainly expect my peers here to tell me I meesed up when I announce it. Happy plowing.
  18. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to side with the others, 25 is too fast for a pick up sized snow plow. Even our big road plows at work which are designed for high speed plowing, do not go much over 25. Its not because they can't its because often the road conditions do not support it.

19. Big Nate's Plowing

who threw a hissy fit? it sure wasnt me. I pointed out what he is.
    I don't even have a speedometer in the truck, I was in 2nd gear with the engine turning 2krpm while in low-lock. I know it was stupid to go fast yes learned my "lesson" :rolleyes: all it did was shear 6 - 1/2" grade 8 bolts , I am gonna get a pump from Jerre cause the monarch that I had was junk to begin with.

20. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You originally wrote:
    "I ripped the blade & mount off of the bronco when I hit a unstaked island doing 25 mph ate the steering wheel and bent it real bad, broke the pump off of the headgear and made life hell. got any spare pumps? "

This sounds a lot different than:
    "all it did was shear 6 - 1/2" grade 8 bolts "

The hissy fit would be how I define writing in large font & bold: TOOL and posting a picture of your screen showing that Dino is on your Ignore list. Nobody cares if Dino is on your Ignore list and that was a very childish post IMO. Hopefully you see this before I get put on your Ignore list too LOL. Posting that you're not buying a U-edge from Dino was also unprofessional, immature & what I consider hissy fit-ish behaviour. Send him a PM if that's the case. I think there is a guy in Dayton selling U-edges who is a partner with Dino, make sure you don't buy from him, or you'll be a tool like Dino :eek: That's all.

"I know it was stupid to go fast yes learned my "lesson" "
    See, you can respond in a mature fashion. That's what I was talking about ;) That's the Nate I have grown to know and like from this MB.