1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Parade

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by kcress31, Nov 19, 2009.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Not sure what thread this fits in but It is marketing your business. Is anybody planning on putting a float in their local christmas parade? Has anyone in the past? Any pictures? I am doing one next week.
  2. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I had my truck and trailer in the local town parade last year for my daughters scout troop. I didn't plan it that way but I plowed that early morning and made it for the start time. I pulled my mowing trailer with all the girlscouts on it passing out candy. I actually got a plow account from a guy that ran out to my door and wanted me to plow his place right after the parade. Free advertising??? You Bet!!!

Sorry no pics though...
  3. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I will post some pics to this post after next Saturday. I hope we get some more.
  4. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I did one during the summer, passed candy out with cards on them, had a few calls but nothing solid. I have thought about the x-mas parade that might be a little better.

Here are pics of float... Also pulled kids football team for homecoming parade...

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I would do my truck/equipment alone. And I'd use my truck to pull a float for another organization. But I would never build a float just for my business.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out
  6. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I just plan on spending 150 - $200 on one machine. Lights and stuff.
  7. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Tax write off!
  8. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

We just did the local Christmas parade tonight... It's a night parade, with lights over everything... Since my primary business is a marina, I towed a 17.5' full windsheild Princecraft fishing boat with some people and kids in it, the boat had lights strung all over it, including the bimini top, then I made a "plywood tonneau cover" in the box that was a few inches lower than the box sides, and on it there was a small lit christmas tree, an inflatable snowman, fake wrapped presents, and lights strung all around the truck with some big lit candy canes hanging off the sides of the bed too.... Looked pretty cool....

only crappy thing about the parade was one the parade was finished, on the route back to the staging area a 53yr old woman fell off the float that was in front of us, and her float kept on going... We had to stop and call 911 and wait for the ambulance.... She'll probably have a mean old headache in the morning and a possibly a couple of stiches or two as well, but I think she will be fine...

I'll try to see if I can get a pic or two of the float, my camera crapped out a day or two ago, so I didn't have one there, but someone's gotta have some pics...

9. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Parade is tomorrow. I will post pics as soon as I can
  10. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

My dads friend used to pull a 45' dropdeck with his Mack. He would get all the magnet signs off his picnics and cover any thing that wasnt covered on the truck or trailer, but he dropped the trailer off and they built a float on it. Lol

A friend of mine owns the biggest towing company in this town and he always has atleast 3-4 trucks in the parade.
  11. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm doing one on the 6th this year. My first, I'll post pictures.
  12. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here is a picture of a Santa Hat we made for our machine. We just finished it last night. This is our first parade as well.

jcc nov 2809 009.jpg

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Perhaps Red Nose for your DEERE.

I plan on doing our local parade next year.
  14. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

ALL READY. Here is the complete float. I will post more night pics tonight or tomorrow. The red nose was a good idea. Maybe next year.

jcc nov parade 002.jpg

jcc nov parade 003.jpg

jcc nov parade 010.jpg
  15. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Just got home from towing a float in my daughters girl scout troops Christmas parade. This was my first year doing it-had 1/2 dozen+ people come up to the truck and ask for cards-we'll see if anything comes of it but it was fun anyway!!:jester:
  16. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here are a few night pictures.

jcc night parade 029.jpg

jcc night parade 018.jpg

jcc night parade 017.jpg

jcc night parade 015.jpg

jcc night parade 010.jpg
  17. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here are a few more.

Keep them coming in.

jcc night parade 003.jpg

jcc night parade 004.jpg

jcc night parade 005.jpg

jcc night parade 007.jpg

jcc night parade 006.jpg
  18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks great Kcress! I'll bet your kids had a blast, which is worth it regardless of the "marketing" value. :salute:
  19. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Yeah the kids loved it. For me it was more or less PR to the community that our company cares and is involved in other things besides business.
  20. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I totally agree with the philosophy of participating in community building functions. Despite our sometimes feeling that an event didn't pay off, it ultimately always does. There is a cumulative effect to our actions, which culminates in folks wanting to do business with us when the time comes that they have a need for our services. Good for you, and best of luck!