1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Day Snow...PLOW???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowboyBlake, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I was wondering your opinion on this. IF its snowing on christmas eve and lasts until christmas morning, Would you plow even if its only and inch or so? Also, christmas day its going to be 36 out and none of the accounts will be open anyways. I am talking about the 9 banks that I do mostly. Just tryin to get your opinions, I would probably say plow it. Tell me what ya think Thanks guys

Blake

2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

if the bank has an atm i would def plow it. do whatever your contract states. all in all do what will make the customer happy and put some payup in your pocket whenever you can.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Banks have ATM machines so they are never " closed " . I never believe the forecast , if the temp doesnt rise , its ice the next business day. And if you are in the plow business and it snows , why wouldnt you plow ? Even on Christmas.

4. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Plowing Holidays

Is the customer open? Does he need your service? Has the snow fall met your contract trigger? I have had to get up from the table on Christmas and plow for a local company. Nursing homes have there big day then and they don't want people falling. That is the bad part of a service company. When the work is there you better be there too

Dave

5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

We plow snow, if it snows, we plow.

6. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Unless you have some kind of "holiday clause" in your agreement you should follow through and fulfill your end of that agreement. payup

7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I would plow every last one if that's what your contract states

8. tiedeman

tiedeman Junior Member

If it snows this Christmas and I have to work, this will be the third Christmas in a row that I have had to do snow removal.

9. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

They are saying up to 2 inches as of now. Plow them all, You would hate it if you lost any contracts.

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm suprised you don't already know the answer Blake, lol. I could care less if my accounts are open or not, I plow them all when I hit the trigger and in some cases it's 1 inch. Laying down a pallet of salt is always nice too.:D

11. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I hope we get a whole load of snow. I need something to keep my mind occupied.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hey Blake, haven't seen you around much!

I'm in the same sort of situation, rain and snow are predicted, with as much as 1-3" possible accumulation. I'm going to treat it, whether with salt or plow it. We all know that if we assume the weather is going to be warm and melt, it'll do exactly the opposite.....

13. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

You expect your clients to uphold their end of the contract (payment on time), so you must uphold your end (plow at your trigger). Simple as that.

14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I just put the plows back in storage today. It's warm and rainy here. No need for plowing and no snow in the forecast, but all I can think about doing is going around and bumping some piles of snow around into the lot so that it can melt, giving more room for the next snow storm. I've always wondered the same thing when temps are going to warm up on Sundays/holidays, etc. I think I consider not doing certain lots to help save the customer money, but then I remember that we have a contract, and oh yeah, one other thing.... I"m the one they write the check to.:jester:

15. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If we got 2" today then we would go out and plow...I'm just glad we didn't get snow today.

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Blake won't be plowing with that truck for awhile, he totaled it.:(

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Of course you plow. My contracts all have a 25% surcharge for plowing on Christmas day ever since the year I spent Christmas behind the wheel. Funny I havn't had to do it since

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Dido! The minute you don't thats when the sh!t will hit the fan. If they are not open then break up the route. Do some in the AM then do Christmas, after thats done go do the rest.

19. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

Scrape em' and rape em':drinkup: