1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chosing the right battery?? Getting sick and tired of jumpstarts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FeelLikeANumber, Dec 1, 2006.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Last year late in the season i bought a battery from a local service center because i was having problems with my old battery. It worked good for a while but after not running the truck very much in the summer the battery has slowly died off. I spent an hour at the gas station waiting for a jump this afternoon. My question is : Is there a stronger battery more designed for a plow truck instead of just a normal vehicle. If so where should I look and how much should I expect to spend?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Most guys I know upgrade to an Optima Deep Cycle.....costs bout $150.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

go to a parts store and tell them you need a larger battery to run your plow and stuff

4. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

Optima Yellow top FTW!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

what are you guys running for CCA's for those with a dual battery setup??

6. starc

starc Senior Member

I never have any problems, upgraded to a 120 amp alternator and 2 wallmart 1000 amp batteries.

7. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Cool thanks guys. I was planning on going with a friend tomorrow to a couple of auto shops to do a little research and buy one. I just wanted to see what the pros have to say first. Always ask the pro's first.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Just get the optima battery deep cycle

9. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Is optima the brand?Can you get a optima deep cycle battery at auto zone?Or where at?

RCGM
    Brad

10. PLOWMAN45

11. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Hope it is a good battery fo 230.00 bucks.

RCGM
    Brad

12. PLOWMAN45

i saw them at summit jegs try the online 4 wheel drive place or all walmart might have the i paid 180.00 its last 6 years deep cycle

13. bigskytom

bigskytom Junior Member
    from Montana

Optima

Saw one the other day at Costco, $159

14. yeah a yellow top is great for apps like this. Guys that have aftermarket amps in their trucks or off road lights go with those. I'm leaning toward one myself, my KC lights need more power!

15. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

sears has optima redtops,and yellow tops for as low as like 129.00-159.00 i think...i can check 2maro seeing as i work at sears(autocenter)

16. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

if your battery is dying out that fast you have other, problems,, like maybe your alternator is just not putting out the juice your using! I got a old truck with old battery, but i put in a 145 amp alternator,, and that keeps everything charged up:D When plowing you are using the lights, heater, strobes, and plow,, 3 of those are heavy juice users on there own.
    So i think either a 2 battery setup or 1 big battery with big alternator will be the best.;)

17. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I checked Pep Boys today and they had two yellow, and one red top. They wanted anywhere from $150 - 189, depending on the battery. I figured that might be a little high so im gonna keep checking around, but just in case i picked up an app for their financing options. So we'll keep looking tomorrow.

Thanks Dogbonz, i thought about the two battery set up but it doesnt look like im gonna have the room to mount another one. I think the optima is probably gonna be the best way to go. Although i might look into a different alternator also, that could be the problem. The truck started alright today when i got in so i dont know what the deal is, why it would die on me one minute, and a couple days later work just fine.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  18. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

A Quick test, to see if your alternator is doing its job, is to unhook the positive battery cable from the battery. If the car stays running then the Alt is charging. if it stalls, the Alt is bad, The alternator is designed to put out the power to run your engine, plus all your accessories, AND charge your battery! I won't mention that you should have already cleaned all the connections :realmad: Opps sorry just did! :p

I WANT TO PLOW SOME FREAKIN SNOW:bluebounc

19. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

I got this from an s10forum. I don't know if you guys are familiar with it, it' called the big 3 upgrade. I do it to all my vehicles.
    Here is the how to:

Q: hey, i was wanting to do the big 3 to increase efficiency, i have a stock alternator.. but i was told to keep the stock wiring and the big 3 just adds to it. is this true?

A. Doing the BIG 3 by leaving the OEM wiring is the lazy man's version of doing it. But yes, you can do it like that. I opted to replace all charging and ground wiring with 0 gauge. Your current set up is 4 gauge wiring, so 2 or 0 gauge wiring is what you'll step it up to. 0 gauge preferred.

Q: so i take it that it is best to replace, rather than complement the current wiring? and what about an inline fuse, that i really didnt understand

A: There are 3 wires you are upgrading.
    Battery to Alt
    Engine ground to Frame
    Battery ground to Frame

Place the inline fuse on the Battery to Alt wire, but its not entirely necessary because the oem wiring harness doesnt not have a fuse between the battery and alt. The oem ANL fuse is in the black box on the core support and is for the fuse box.

Q: . im still wandering how did you connect it to the battery, a bolt and washers?

A: No, you connect it to the battery with new battery terminal. Kinda like the battery terminal when you attach amp power wires to the battery. Use that terminal on the battery positive and negative (need 2 of them) to secure the oem power and ground wires to the battery. Then on these new terminals there is a spot to bolt on another wire. The wires added to these new terminals are the larger 0 gauge power wire from the alternator and the larger 0 gauge wire from the chassis ground to the battery.

Here, this is a pic of the terminals that goes on your battery. Get 2 of them, 1 for the positive, 1 for the ground.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...y Terminals#

[​IMG]

Then get this wire.

[​IMG]
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...ry=KLM Kable#

Then use these terminal connectors on the wire. (MUST use a bench vice or HEAVY duty crimper to crimp them on. I always use a bench vice)
    [​IMG]

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Installation Accessor ies#

Then put this on the power wire from the alternator to the battery. Put it in-line of that wire as close to the battery as possible. (MUST DO) **When you select this you get a free fuse for it. It is for an ANL fuse. Select the 175amp fuse. If you have a larger HO alternator, select the appropriate fuse for it.

[​IMG]
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Inline Fuse Holders #

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  20. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

cont...

Use this picture. Pay attention to the grounds and what wire goes where. And yes, the BIG 3 is done in conjunction with the oem wiring. Unless you're like me and cleaning **** up. I ripped out all the oem wiring and redid my own with all 0 gauge. If you use it in conjunction with the stock wiring, you STILL have to fuse it. You're stock wiring is fused in a small block on the core support. The BIG 3 doesn't run through that block so you must fuse it.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. I don't know how else to explain it.