1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chosing a pump for Liquid Apps

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PerfiCut Inc., Jan 7, 2009.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

Just curios, as to why all of the liquid brine spray systems are equipped with a gas motor?
    there are a number of 12v elec pumps which have the same GPM and PSI ratings at a fraction of the cost. Heres one for Example

A friend of mine, build a small liquid pre-treat setup a few years ago using a 50g poly drum, a couple of fan nozzles, and an electric pump. The pump had a max 70psi rating so it would shut off automaticaly when this pressure was reached. But maintained 45-55 psi with plenty of GPM output. I think he had 4 or 6 spray nozzles.

From the looks of it, depending on which nozzles you get. Your looking at each nozzles output of .4 GPM at 40psi. A setup using 8 nozzles produces 3.2 GPM of discharge at 40psi. An electric pump would be more than able to support this.

Just wondering why more expensive gas motors are preferred? Aside from having to get out and start them, and keeping them fueled, and I'm sure the manufacturer is promoting their anti-corrosion properties. But hey, if an electric pump does the same thing, and lasts 3-4 years, at this less than a hundred bucks, why not go this route?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The reason I went with a gas motor and pump is I want to have the ability to spray 15 ft and also off each end of the boom. I would be surprised if a electric motor can move the amount of liquid and shoot it as far as a gas motor. I may very well be wrong as this is all new to me. The other thing is I will like not having as much electric plow related things hooked up to my truck.

Regards Mike

3. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

If you want to spray 15' plus then get a gas motor pump if you want to spray 1 lane get an electric pump with as at least 9-10 gpm

4. turboguy

turboguy Member

The pump you referenced is 3 G.P.M. Unless you hook up 3 to 4 of them you won't have enough flow. The Gas units have a pump that will range from 90-150 GPM. They bypass a lot of that and you don't need that much but you really do need 10-12 G.P.M or something close to that.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Thats why i went gas. I wanted about 14 gpm so i could drive a dcent spead instead of 4 mph with the electrics. Our pump is rated at 135 gpm min i think but most is just bypasted back into the tank

6. turboguy

turboguy Member

I think another factor to look at is the type and amount of material someone wants to apply. Reading the threads here I see guys who are applying material at 25 gallons per acre and guys that are applying material at 150 gallons per acre. (and of course everything in between.)

If someone plans to anti-ice only and expects to use a lower application rate and a one lane boom then an electric with a decent pump will probably be fine. If someone thinks they may want to go a high application rate or wants the time savings that a multi lane boom can offer, then I think it tips the scale towards a gas or hydraulic pump.