1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing my first plow.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Curro, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Curro

Curro Member

Hello, just joined the forum. I am in the middle of choosing a plow for my 2001 Jeep Wrangler. I will be doing a few of my properties and a few of my neighbors driveways. It is between a 6 1/2' Sno-way and a 7' Western w/conventional mount. Both are used and are about the same price. Not sure if there is a significant weight difference between the two. Are there any pros and cons to a conventional mount? Seems like no one makes them any more. This is all completely new to me but I am learning. Any input would be appreciated.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Go with the Snoway. The down pressure will be invaluable and they are a nice fit for that vehicle. It is also 6" 8" not 6'6". With the Snoway you will not be looking at the lights and carrying the pump 365/24/7. The conventional mount I am assuming is a cable controlled pump which while extremely bulletproof are harder to work on and becoming increasingly harder to get parts for in particular quality control cables as no one offers them in a wire wrap unit any longer. Plus you have the cables and control box in the vehicle consently

What model Snoway? Does it have the mounts for your vehicle?

3. Curro

Curro Member

Hey Basher, thanks for the quick reply. The Snoway is an MT model and the Western is an conventional frame and blade but has an electric pump and control. It was custom ordered as the owner did not like the way the ultra mount made the plow sit out so far away from the jeep. So he had the western dealer use an older but new frame mount, blade and was fitted with the newer electric pump and joystick. It actually looks good because it sits closer to the Jeep. I didnt know the Snoway had down pressure, sounds interesting. With a steel blade like the western is down pressure even necessary? Is the weight of the blade not enough for back plowing in your experience?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Snoway probably weighes more on the ground then the Western as it carries the pump weight on the blade. Weight is not a replacement for down pressure, ask anybody running a 1100lbs Erie special (a old school Blizzard 810 modified to provide DP.)

Does the Snoway have the mount for your Jeep?

5. Curro

Curro Member

Thanks for the input Basher. Yes the snoway and the western have the correct mount as the both came of the same model wrangler as mine.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Excellent as both those units are getting hard to find mounts for. You will probably want to look into a set of air shocks. There are a number of threads that deal with that and will give you the numbers you need to order them.

The Snoway can be converted to a 26 series for mounting on later model trucks should you want to transfer it to another vehicle and the three pin mount is not available (likely) the Western will be worthless on anything but a TJ as there is no updating it.

7. Curro

Curro Member

So Basher, I ran across this Snoway today and I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. I was wondering if you can tell me what model this is? The owner tells me its 6'8" but not sure of the model. I did notice in the pics that it does not have lights of any sort. Is this something that can be ordered and at what price? thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That is an ST with wired control. Yes the light kit is still available. around $800 with harnesses.

9. Curro

Curro Member

Ok thanks, think I will stick with the MT. The MT seems to have a taller blade. What other differences are there between the ST and MT?

10. HOLESHOT27

HOLESHOT27 Junior Member

Not sure if this helps or not but the MT is about 140lbs heavier. I'm in the process of putting one on my YJ now

11. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Just a quick FYI about the Snoway unit. While the down pressure is very useful, there is a down side to this. If you have a hydraulics failure, you are done, as the plow is stuck in whatever position is stops working at. With the Western, you can drive the plow onto a big snow bank and chain it up. This will allow you to get to your shop, garage, dealer or wherever it is you would use to fix it. Don't get me wrong, the chances of this are probably pretty slim and if all of your locations are close to home?, no big deal.:)

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Direct lift applications can be transported when not functioning. Snoway even provides a travel lock in case you might want to take the load off your hydraulics for long distance transport or if you have a power issue.

13. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Cool! I didn't know that? Youy learn something new every day! Thumbs Up