1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Truck Tire?? Dedicated Snow Tire or REVOs?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jettix2, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Hey guys;

I've got an 06 Tundra DoubleCab 4WD. I live in Michigan, we get lots of snow, I'll be plowing my personal driveway with this truck next year, and I tow a 26' travel trailer in the summer.....having the right tires for any given application is important to me;)

SUMMER TIRES: Factory P265/70-17 Dunlop AT20s.....I can't stand these tires, they must have been the cheapest, lowest-rolling-resistance tire Toyota could find. They suck in the rain, look "puny" on the truck, and my greatest hope is that they wear out really, really soon:)

WINTER TIRES: 265/70-16 Blizzak DMZ3s on aftermarket wheels......they look great, but are worn out and need to be replaced. (In all honesty, for how much $$ they cost, I'm not all THAT impressed with how they did in the snow.......) They look nice and "beefy" on the truck, though;)

I called Tire Rack today.......the guy says that the Blizzak DMZ3 is the best truck snow tire they've got.....that the second best truck tire for ice/snow is actually the Bridgestone Dueler REVO, and that it's not THAT far off the performance of the Blizzak.

So I'm thinking.............I need a set of snow tires and would LIKE a set of summer tires, too. In a perfect world, I'd have a set of Blizzaks for winter ($700 on the truck) and a set of REVOs for summer ($700 on the truck)........

But hey, if the REVO is *almost* as good as the Blizzak in the snow, why not just run the REVO all year long???

Does anyone on here have experience with the REVO in the snow versus a dedicated snow tire (Blizzak, Hakkapeliita, Winterforce, whatever)??? I have dedicated winter/summer tire packages for the other 7 cars in the family........am I making a mistake going with the REVO and giving up my dedicated "snow tire"??? Do you guys who plow commercially with your trucks run dedicated snow tires, or just a good A/T tire (like the REVO?)

Thanks! Ben

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I run Bridgestone Deuler MT's for the winter. You could run them year round but they are louder and will wear quicker than an AT. I have run them year round before, but plan to pull them soon as I did last year. No matter what you go with, stay away from wider tires for winter. You want to dig in to the snow for traction, not float on top.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get ether the bridgestone dueler revo's or bfg at's.

I have a set of both.

The revos are very good and will last longer than the bfg's but the bfg's seem to be better on ice than the revos are.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Cooper Disoverer

M+S in the Winter

All Terrain in the Summer

5. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Thanks to all for the input so far!!!! Keep the thoughts coming!

Thanks, Ben

6. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

just get the revos and run them year round they are a great tire for year round use

7. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Cool, you're in Minnesota, so you probably have some experience in the white stuff, eh?? :)

Thanks! Ben

8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Your on a plow site, I think we all have had plenty of experience with the white stuff. HA ha ha:) I feel most MT's would do well for snow/ winter only. AT's for year round. I have ran and liked the BFG AT's too. I read a test on them where they out performed the MT in more than half the categories.

9. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

just a little experience lol we had a late storm in march it was a living hell it wouldnt stop falling i plowed for damn near a week straight with 3-4 hour naps every 20 hours.

10. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Awesome, thanks guys!!!

11. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I rock Revos in the winter and a set of Pro Comp Xterrains in the off season! They're going on Friday in fact:eek:

12. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a set of bfg at's and they work great year round. Mine are 32x11.5x15 but I would stick to 10.5 or narrower. I aslo tow a camper with them in the summer with no issues.

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If you want the best snow tire, In my opinion get the Nokian. If you want to make you truck unstoppable( if it's allowed in your state), stud them. Like any great snow tire don't use them when the weather is hot, they all will wear fast on the highway when the temperature is high because of the softer compound.

We all know any all season tire is going to be a compromise. Two set of rims and tires is your ultimate choice.

14. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

I have 2 sets of rims and tires right now..........

I've decided that I will continue to have a dedicated snow tire, not sure exactly which tire I'll replace the worn out Blizzaks with.......

Ben

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I run the coopers year round.....as i do some off roading with friends...AWESOME tire so far for spring/summer/fall and have only heard good things about it for winter use!

16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

my truck came with dueler revos and they seem to be a good tire they are good in mud rain and i know that they are good in snow. the only thing i dont like is they get cut easily on rocks and when off roading. i will be replacing them soon becuase there are some fairly big chunks missing from the tread.

17. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have run them year round as well with little more noticable wear then the all terrains. On my dump and Toyota plower they stay on year round.

If you have a daily driver though that sees a lot of highway during none plowing times, I would say the ALL TERRAINS are a bit quiter and have better dry grip and mileage then the M+S. I have to sets of rims for my daily so it is an easy swap.

I may mount a set of studded M+S tires for the Toyota this year to have for very icey coniditions as that truck sees some severe drives.