1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a plow for TJ.

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by TJ_with_Tusks, Oct 16, 2005.

1. TJ_with_Tusks

TJ_with_Tusks Junior Member
    from Boston

Give me some feedback about the plows you have on your TJs. Also, how has the tj held up since you started plowing with it. I have an '04 and im worried about wear n tear.

2. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I jsut put a western suburbanite on my 98 TJ last week. have not plowed with it yet but i'm pretty happy with it. for one it is very light...270# which is much lighter than others i have seen for small SUVs. it is also very fast....almost to fast from side to side. comes off and on fairly easy....not as easy as they make it look but easy enough. I have no others to compare it to except the western on my dads truck but that is a bigger older unit. I was origianaly going to get a blizzard but then a local place was having a sale so that got me looking into the western more....and so far i'm happy with it. cant wait to plow with it!!

3. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

cool, what did you pay for it? Did you install airbags up front?

4. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

total came to just over $3300 installed. didn't put in any airbags or mopar airshocks like they recomend with some plows. I have a 2.5" rancho lift so the front is a little stiffer than stock anyway and with how light the plow is the front only dropps about an inch with the plow on it. I dont' know how much you weigh but go stand on your front bumper....that will give you an idea of what it will drop. there are pictures of it a post or 2 below this one.

5. polplow

polplow Member

got a 6.5 meyer plow installed with airbags for 3383. Very responsive pnly thing a dont like is the mounting system. Jeep is a TJ

6. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

hmm. I have a winch and a solid bumper on the jeep now, sags over and inch. I guess I'll have to take off the winch to put on a plow. wow, your plow must be light. I found a Meyer TMP-6.5 that I am looking at. $1000. Its 7 years old, stored inside all year. I might pick that up.

7. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

polplow. same post time. my comp almost froze. What don't you like about the mounting system ?

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If it's the EZ-Mount it's just kind of a pain, to mount you need insert 2 pins, connect 2 hydro hoses and connect a chain. Then you also have the headgear (pump, lights) still on the truck for the whole winter unless you want to disconnect that too, which involves 2 more pins and 6 wires. Oh I forgot to mention too the quick connects on the hoses also have a tendency to freeze, which makes things more fun.

9. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

does it coem with all the moutns and everything for your jeep? I was looking at a 6.5 fisher but it was going to cost $1200 jsut for everythign i needed to mount it to my jeep since it came off a toyota. that plus the price of the plow and instalation was going to be over 2000 and that was for a beat up old plow. grand more and I have brand new with everyting. jstu soemthing to think about.....if it came off a tj then you should not need much....maybe some wiring.

10. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

The meyers 6.5 came off ofa cherokee. The guy says that it will bolt right onto a TJ. I looked at the bracket that bolts to the frame, it looks like it will fit. Comes with all wiring and controls. (supposedly)

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If it came off an XJ it likely will not fit. The XJ's need tie ins to the unibody for it to be strong enough. It is possible it might, but I would not count on it.

12. polplow

polplow Member

just what fester said. It has the two part mount. Like the fisher mm2 on my dodge a heck of a lot better. But I feel the meyer plow will be better for my jeep.

13. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

polplow, hmm. I looked at it, and it seemed to make sense. There was a big bracket, with two plates on the ends that looked like they bolted to the outside of the frame on my Tj. I held up the bracket to my jeep, and it seemed to line up. What do you mean by two part mount. This guy had the described bracket, then the light bar and motor, then the plow itself. Maybe I'll call a installation place and ask a few questions

14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The frames are totally different on a TJ and a XJ as others have stated. You might be able to midify the mounts to work, but it would just be easier to get the correct mount...

15. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

ok. got it. Found the mounts for a TJ for around 300 from a supplier.

16. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

don't forget the wiring harness also.

17. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

so, I'll need a new harness as well.? Seller has a complete harness.

18. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

If you don't buy the plow..let me know. I might be interested too. Thanks

19. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

I picked up a minute mount one today locally for 800.00. The plow is nice shape and it came with all the wires and a fish stick too. I couldn't beat the price of 800.00. I ordered the pec kit today so it should be good to go by next week.

20. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

$800, nice. for what kind of jeep ?