1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing A New Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DodgeGuy18, Oct 27, 2011.

Which Fisher plow is the best choice for my intended usage?

1. 7'6" Fisher HD

0 vote(s)
  2. 8' Fisher HD

2 vote(s)
  3. 7'6" Fisher X-Blade

0 vote(s)
  4. 8' Fisher X-Blade

7 vote(s)
  1. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a plow for my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 QC/SB. Although I would like some advice on which brand would best suit my needs and why, I know better than to ask that on here as most threads on such topics render no definitive answer and give the original poster little or no help in making their decision.

As of the moment, I am leaning towards a Fisher. Although I have not plowed in quite a few years, all of my experience has been with Fishers, and as such, I am most familiar with their design, operation, installation, etc. Even though I have never owned, used, or worked on a Minute Mount-type plow, I assume that I would be equally satisfied as with my conventional Fishers.

My main question lies in the size and model of the blade. All of my accounts will be residential (driveways of various sizes and lengths). It is extremely unlikely that I will be doing any commercial accounts. Given my truck and intended usage, would I be best served with a 7'6" blade, an 8' blade, or....?

Regardless of what anyone says, I am only interested in a straight blade. That leaves me with either an HD- Series blade, or an X-Blade. I do not know a great deal about the X-Blade, but have been told that it cannot be used on gravel surfaces; The vast majority of my accounts are located in a small, high-end neighborhood in which all of the driveways are paved and nearly-new. I have never encountered nor do I intend to encounter any gravel driveways.

I am somewhat partial to the X-Blade due to (what I have heard) are its excellent scraping characteristics. The customers which I deal with are quite picky and will not be satisfied unless the driveway is completely bare with none of that hard, shiny, slippery snow pack that often remains behind after plowing.

What are the pros and cons of each blade? Does the X-Blade scrape significantly better than a standard HD-Series blade?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

since your doing mainly driveways personally id lean towards the 7'6" thats why i bought one, easiest to manuver theyres some small drives around here where an 8' would have been a problem. i would have myself some lawn repairs in the spring. also you might want a poly or rubber cutting edge since you mentioned the drives are newer and high end neighborhood means customers might be stuck up pompus poopdicks that complain about your plow putting a tiny scratch in theyre new driveway and now they have to see it everytime they drive theyre mercedes down the drive. i dont really know about the xblade or hd blade because fisher is not popular around me at all i guess due to lack of dealers? all i know is the hd is lighter. ask mercer me he knows all about fishers
  3. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

Anybody else have any input?
  4. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

I recently had two new customers contact me regarding snow removal for this winter. Although they are both relatively short and completely flat, they are both crushed stone. I wouldn't necessarily classify them as your typical gravel driveway, as the two "lanes" of tire travel have little if any crushed stone and the middle and edges have 1/2" at best. Suffice it to say that neither has a deep gravel base. I have heard in the past that the Fisher X-Blade performs exceedingly poorly on any surfaces other than pavement due to its extreme attack angle. Does anyone know if this is true or have first hand experience using an X-Blade on gravel surfaces? With the possibility of gaining two new clients with "unpaved" driveways (and always the potential for more) is it worth reconsidering and getting a standard HD blade?
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Put a pipe on the cutting edge for the gravel drives. No experience with the plows you are looking at, though.