1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a location (any city) to start plow business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by progressiveman1, Aug 30, 2010.

1. progressiveman1

progressiveman1 Junior Member
    from nowhere

I'm interested in starting a plowing business that only does residential driveways; just me and my one truck, and a goal of getting 30 clients. And I'm open to moving anywhere for the right location. But how should I go about choosing a good location for this business to maximize profit?

Obviously the amount of snow accumulation is a major factor. How am I supposed to know what the other competition in the area is like?. The prices being charged there? Basically how easily I could get clients at a certain price.

Thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Well if you open up bussiness in an area such as buffalo NY; where they get a ton of snow, then you won't make as much money, why? Because they're tons of snow plowing companies in those areas. It's kinda like supply and demmand. I theirs alot then price goes down. If their scace, then price goes up. So you pick a place you think is sutable...

3. progressiveman1

from nowhere

Yeah, that's what I was referring to in my post. But is there a way to know ahead of time without actually moving there how much competition there is? How do I find out going rates in cities throughout the country?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It snows in Buffalo?

Where are you from that you can't find 30 drives to plow?

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Its tough to think about snow when im sitting here overlooking a Beautiful lake drinking my 9th beer of the day...But, i would have to pick..Lake Tahoe, Stateline Nevada Area...They get a boat load of Snow,Im mean 100" to 200" of snow a year and the scenery and sking are AWESOME!!!!.....payup...:drinkup:

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Jealousy will get me no where.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

30 residential plow clients is not worth moving for. Think about it.

8. ajslands

30 commercial clients is though!

9. progressiveman1

from nowhere

Well right now I'm in lower New Mexico- very light and infrequent snow obviously. But I've been living here for different reasons.

I was thinking 30 would be just about the max amount of clients for one truck to provide reliable service, so that's why I'm looking for a city that will give me a good chance of this and also of providing at least 20 plowable days, hopefully more.

With a city that gets 100-150", about how many plowable events is that over the year? I'm sure it depends what city as well but can anyone ballpark it from experience or hearsay?

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Miami. ANYTHING would be pure profit.

Otherwise, try a state like Georgia or southern Missouri. Not much snow, but still the possibility. Northern states get the snow, but your potential for profit is MUCH more uncertain.

11. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Unless you are A) Very Rich B) Very Snow Crazy C) Living in your Car currently, I'd vote it is NUTS to want to move just to start a snow business. Not trying to be a ******,, just saying.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

30 drives at 300-400 each for the season is not that much. Move to Flagstaff for the winter.

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Well, your going to have +/- $8k into a somewhat reliable truck (no promises its reliable tho) with a plow on it. Remember if you buy a used truck, with a used plow on it, it was USED PLOWING ( read USED HARD, could break any minute, or not)

$10k gross (first yr doubtful, but who knows)
    -$8k used truck w/plow
    -$2k fuel
    -$500 tires
    -$250 cutting edge
    -$750 Business Auto Ins
    -$500 General Liabilty Ins
    -$250 Coffee
    -$1500 advertising (how are you going to get your 30 customers?)
    = -3750

Lets see, at the end of the first year, your still $3750 in the RED. Lets say the second year you gross 10k again, and have the same expenses... then what, after 2 yrs, your ahead $2k?

Sounds logical to me :nod:

14. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

$10k gross (first yr doubtful, but who knows)
    -$8k used truck w/plow
    -$2k fuel
    -$500 tires
    -$250 cutting edge
    -$750 Business Auto Ins
    -$500 General Liabilty Ins
    -$250 Coffee
    -$1500 advertising (how are you going to get your 30 customers?)
    = -3750

A chance to own your own snowplow business...................PRICELESS

15. progressiveman1

from nowhere

I'm looking for a location that will give me 20+ plowable snows at $30/push, which is $600 for the season. With 30 clients that's $18K in revenue. pumpkin:

What's a better way to maximize profit?

16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Maybe you didnt hear the other guys, places that get more pushes, have more plowers, so the rate is cheaper per push.

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You want an up-scale suburban neighborhood, full of yuppies and BMW's, Lexie's that dont want to drive in snow.

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Another vote for Flagstaff

19. progressiveman1

from nowhere

You think $30/push will be tough to get in a really snowy city?

For the people who work in Flagstaff, how many plowable days are there and how much do you charge?

Makes sense. I bet they're targeted the most.

20. ajslands

depends. Lots of variables

find out on your own, NOAA works as well as accuweather. Nobody is going to tell you what they charge and even if they did, it's not like it would help you because they have diffrent production costs than you.

Don't mean to sound like a Richard...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010