1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Blizzard

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by HD61CUIN, Sep 5, 2006.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I am trying to decide on a plow manufacturer for my next truck. In the past I have had a Western 8'6" plow on my old Ford F250.

I will be getting a new 06-07 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 Diesel to replace my 1500 Ram that I currently have. I wish Dodge still made the extended cab, seems the Quad limits my plow choices. I hate to say it but I might have to concider a Ford F250.

I have been searching Western, Boss, and Blizzard. I do not have any experience with a Blizzard, but have been looking at the 860SW. Boss and Western limit my application to a 7'6" Straight blade. I really wanted a V plow from Boss. Why is it that the Blizzard weighs so much less than a comperable Boss or Western and still has the Speed Wing ability? How do they do it? Is the strength of the Blizzard equal to that of a Boss or Western. How can they have a blade with equal strength and keep the weight down?

2. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

STOP!!! DO NOT PASS GO!!!

Call Tim Gibins Snow Plows in Chicago 773 267-7569. He is a Blizzard dealer and I have been buying Blizzard from him for the past four years. He is awesome for customer support.

As for the Blizzard as a plow I have been VERY happy with them from DAY 1. I have since sold my Westerns and will only ever see my company having Blizzard Power Plow.

A 810 will do nicely. Not sure what type of plowing you do BUT if you think you can use a SW you will most likely find more work as you will reduce your current plow times but 30% and with the addtional Larger jobs that you would never even bid on with any of the other plows you are going to wish you had the full power plow.

000_0301.JPG

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You won't be sorry with a Blizzard. I would recommend an 810 as well or the 860 SW.

A big part of the lighter weight is no hinge in the middle on the SW. The 810 will be heavier, though.

PS Following the recommendations, I should have a 760 on my 350 CC\PS. I have an 8611 LP.

4. GSJ

GSJ Junior Member
    from W. MI

I was considering an 810 for my '06 F350 P/S but now I'm thinking maybe I should jump up to the 8611 LP. Has that worked out well for you Mark? Thanks.

5. Mark Oomkes

There is no other plow for a truck as productive as a Blizzard Power Plow.

6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

According to Blizzard, there is a dealer in my town. When I get a chance, I plan to visit them and see the lineup firsthand. I also want to see the dealer to see what kind of service they can offer me should I need it when I need it. I also need to be sure that they can install the plow that I want on the truck that I want.

Now I just have to sell or trade my current truck, once I make a decision.

7. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I just ordered 2 8611 LP for my 2 F350, I am going to take off 9.5 Fisher V's and put them in storage hopeing to sell them some day,

8. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

kcapxix

How much were your plows if you don't mind me asking?

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have had Western in the past and I now have a Blizzard...I would say stick with the Western.

10. Mark Oomkes

Care to give more info? This is like saying Fords suck, buy a Chevy, etc.

11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

LIKE THIS??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay away from them Blizzard Plows and Ford Trucks.......Well what I really mean is STF out of their way!!!!!!

12. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I replaced my 2001 F150 with a 2005 SD F250 and sold the Snoway plow I had on the old truck. I want to get the 810 for my F250 but what is the differenc in the 8611 LP ? Would the 8611 LP even work on a SD F250?

Thanks,
    Kent

13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think the 8611's are pretty much meant for dual rear wheeled trucks. GVWR 14000 and up. The plow weighs well over 1000 lbs. and I don't think a single rear wheeled truck could push the snow the 8611 can carry. Maybe, but it would be operating at its limits. Get an 8610 for the F250 3/4 ton

14. Mark Oomkes

Weight is the big difference, although the 8611LP does not weigh well over a thousand pounds, it's about a thousand pounds (check the website) A SRW will handle an 8611LP just fine, I have 2 but they are both on 350's.

If you do, you'll have to do some spring upgrading and add Timbren's.

PS There is no such thing as an 8610, there are 810's, 8611 LP's and 8611's.

15. FisherTwin

FisherTwin Junior Member

If you go to the Blizzard web site they have the power match program it will help guide you to the plow you can put on your truck.

16. Mark Oomkes

Use it with a grain of salt, though.

17. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

i did not shoparound!! Reason; I needed a local dealer to deal with, RE: if I have any plow problems @ 2am I need local fast service, with that said, 5500 each installed + sales tax

18. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Having a dealer available and local to your needs is a very important tool. Having any plow no matter what brand, when it breaks (they all break at some time) without a local service center you are traveling, wasting time, fuel, and more money than needed. In a large snow, rapid access to repair parts/service, can mean the difference. The service center for Blizzard is no longer located in my town, so it looks as if I will be looking at a western or boss which has the next closest dealer/repair center to me.

I appreciate everyones time, responses, and assistance with the blizzard line.