1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choose 90's Silverado 1500 Z71 or Tahoe?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snow4me, Aug 4, 2010.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I've been plowing for two years now primarily residential long driveways on large Estate properties and two small parking lots with a 1992 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Z71 6.5' bed 117.5" wheel base w/ Snoway 7.5' 29 series plow. This truck has worked great for what I do because of it's short wheelbase and plenty of power.

Now I'm adding a second truck to my business. I'm debating about getting another 90's shortbed 1500 Silverado 4x4 Z71 or possibly going with a Tahoe 2-door 4x4 because it has a 6" shorter wheelbase coming in at 111.5" so it will be more maneuverable. I've already bought an 8 foot 29 series plow, now I'm trying to decide what truck to buy.

So my question first question...is the 1995 Tahoe built as well as the 1992 Silverado 1500 and will it handle the wear and tear? Second question... will the Tahoe be able to handle the 8' plow or should I put the 8' on the Silverado and the 7.5' on the Tahoe. I already have Timbrens on the Silverado truck and plan on doing the same for the Tahoe. I may also have a leaf added to the rear so I can install a hitch type salt spreader with bags in the back to counter balance the added weight on the front of the Tahoe.

*For all everyone who is going to tell me I need to get a 2500 truck because the 29 series plows are too much for the 1500 trucks, I've been plowing for 2 years with my Siverado Z71 1500 4x4 and it has the original motor and trans with 234,000 miles on it. I plow smoothly and carefully so I don't abuse my equipment. I'm aware of the fact I'm pushing the limits of what this truck can handle.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. gas man

gas man Junior Member

i bought a 97 tahoe with an 8ft ultra and it was ok, just a lil light in the loafers even with weight in the back. i bough it for the blade only but ran it a year. it was great on how fast you could whip it around. it also had the t-bars cranked all the way up, rode good with the blade on but off was a diff story. lol just be sure to get a hatch and not the rear door style. :drinkup:

3. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Why the hatch? I like the barn doors...

4. gas man

gas man Junior Member

barn doors block your view. i came close a few times, others have not been so lucky. makes it to easy to find that one lone pole.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your question, the 95 tahoe and 92 K1500 are identical up front, I wouldn't hesitate to put an 8' on a half ton with Timbrens and plenty of balast, but as you said, you have to know your limits. Having plowed with 1/2 ton GM's of the same era, they work ok for the little stuff, but tend to get stuck much more easily, and can't push nearly as well as a bigger truck, but it sounds like for what you're doing, it would work just fine. My first plow truck was a 76 Blazer, and I'd probably never plow with an SUV again. Visibility is the biggest reason, both the extra bodywork as well as keeping the windows clear. Cranking the defroster and cracking the windows to keep the rear window clear is much tougher in an SUV than a pickup. Throwing blowers, spreaders, shovels, etc in the back of an SUV is also much more of a headache than a pickup. Unless you NEED and SUV for some reason, I'd stick with the short box pickup idea...

6. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Thank you for your feedback that is exactly what I was looking for, someone with past experience and good analysis, I think it would not be such a problem if the back sides and hatch glass on the Tahoe was clear and not so darkly tinted. I'm rethinking my idea and looking for another short bed 1500 Silverado. The one I've got was a throttle body fuel injection (glorified carburator), does anyone know when it changed to the vortec engine?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

'96 was the first year for the Vortec.

And as stated previously go with the SB truck, the slightly shorter wheelbase of the Tahoe's doesn't offset their less than great rear visibility.

8. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Thanks B&B I just bought a 1996 Silverado Z71 4x4 Sportside w/ 94,000 miles on it. This truck doesn't appear to have seen a hard days work in it's 14 years. I'll post some pics of it later.