1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choking out a salt spreader.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by White Gardens, Nov 19, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

So after doing some research into my under tailgate salt spreader and trying to get more control out of my applications, I've come to the conclusion the easiest way without major modifications, is to block off my auger in some manner to limit the amount of salt that goes into it.

Couple of things I can do. I can either cut a couple of thin pieces of stainless and put them on the ends of my trough. Do keep in mind I have a center drop system.

Or, I can just shut my tailgate down some and see if that does the trick. My only concern is bridging of the salt, especially if it's wet at all, and also bigger chunks getting stuck.

Any thoughts on this? about the only way I could try the tailgate method is to throw some salt, but, if I need to go the route of the cover plates, I want to get it done asap before the snow flies. I was just curious if anyone has done something similar.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

No Problem......Load some salt, drive up here to my place, and spread all over my concrete driveway until you are satisfied it is working properly then drive back home. ( Leaving the salt of course) Feel free to do so as often as necessary. :laughing:

3. White Gardens

I'd still have to charge you 300/hr to spread it. Thumbs Up

Plus the charge for you to clean it up.:laughing:

4. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Go to your local quarry that has 1/4" chips and have them load the truck then back up to the pile and check your spreader volume. Chips are about the same size. I have a gravel drive and lot also a few drives I do and I spread chips with my hitch mounted spreader. Have done this in the past to clean rust out of the trough of the tailgate spreaders.

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

if you don't mind my asking, how much was the center drop Flink? Is it 96"?
    Steve

6. White Gardens

I do believe it's 72" but I can measure if you want me too.

I don't know what it cost as it was on the truck when I bought it. I got the truck/plow/hydro system/plow at one heck of a price. ussmileyflag

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

OK thanks no need to measure i thought it might be a class 6 or so dump truck,
    Steve

8. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

just curious why don't you just turn down the auger control, or am i missing something here

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you not have a controller to slow down your auger?

10. White Gardens

Basically I have two knobs in the cab. One to control the spinner and one to control the auger.

On the auger control, I have 1-11 as the settings. On number 1, I don't feel like I spread enough salt. On number 2, I feel I'm spreading too much. On number 3, it starts to jam up as it can't drop and spread fast enough and I think that is partially due to the center drop setup.

I've called, Flink and Talked to the engineer, who then referred me to Keonig Body and Equipment who was the original builder.

As far as everyone has told me, My valves, pump and spreader set up is exactly the way it should be. So, ultimately, Koenig told me the best option would be to choke out the spreader instead of trying to reconfigure the system.

In the end I'm looking for better control.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If 1 is to slow and 2 is to fast what is it like on 11. I wonder if you have the wrong pump on the auger. The pumps have different flow rates. You might need a slower pump that you need to turn up more to get enough flow.

12. White Gardens

I checked out all the numbers with the engineer at Flink and also with Koenig. By the numbers everything should be right.

I think personally it's due to the center drop. That means that there is two augers instead of one when you really think about it. If it was a side drop then I feel I would have the control that I'm looking for.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  13. Township1

Township1 Member

We have a newer swenson center drop with a similar issue, and went basically the same round with the manufacture, and body builder. We ended up making a longer drop cover (the cover over the auger at the spinner), which esentially throttled the salt in the auger and corrected the problem.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  14. White Gardens

That's what I was looking to hear.

Thanks! Thumbs Up