1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choke Spring on my '85

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tony h, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tony h

tony h Junior Member

Bone stock 305 4bbl. 1985.. I'm the Original owner so nothing was tampered with. I do my own wrenching.

I have 12V to the choke but the choke isn't pulling off. Pretty certain teh Bimetal Spring must have broke. Can I get a relacement?

Funny thing with the Electric choke assembly, In many cases with these chokes you can loosen 3 screws and adjust if needed .. mine has pop rivets where the screws should be. I hope I can drill out teh rivets and reassemble.

Just wondering if tehy sell Replacement springs....and where.

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Pretty common problem with the rochester's. Carquest was able to get me rebuild kits and the such when I rebuilt my old truck. I'm assuming any large auto parts distributor should be able to track them down. Make sure to get the number off the carb.

3. tony h

tony h Junior Member

I would have guessed that if it was the screw on cover typoe that I have played with. In 25 years I have never touched the Choke on this truck so when I saw the Pop Rivets I got thrown. Probably some B.S. gas milega emmissions thing they tried in '85 to make sure Car owners didn't tamper with their cown vehicles. I should have hit the Parts Store before bothering you all.

4. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

not a problem, the electric choke had to be done on both an 84 and 86 i had. the rochesters are pretty decent carbs but the electric chokes sucked.

5. tony h

tony h Junior Member

I have an account at carquest... I have to pick up a case of oil filters that I ordered.

washed3 2009.jpg

6. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Nice rig! I had an 86 short bed but it wasnt a step side. wish i still had it, it was totalled less than a month after i sold it!

7. tony h

tony h Junior Member

Thanks. It's actually my wife's Truck.
    300K miles and I haven't had the engine opened up.
    The lifters drain down so it ticks on start up.

I did the Timing Chain at 100K miles as maintenance. that's about it.
    This Choke is about the only thing that really went wrong. I am big on maintaining so I don't get stuck.

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Drill the head of the rivet off and punch out the nail part the replacement should have new rivets or self tapping screws good luck by the way nice truck -Joe-

9. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Nice truck!! I miss my old 86. So easy to work on.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Most auto parts places are either clueless or don't carry what you need for choke related
    parts for Rochester carbs.
    I lucked out for a choke spring (stove) for my 72 pontiac from these guys:
    They have almost anything for a Rochester.
    http://stores.ebay.com/a-e-auto-par...15161976&_sid=143626587&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

It was a one year only part and some wanted $49 bucks! These guys.......$15 for a NOS piece!

11. tony h

tony h Junior Member

Got the Choke Thermostat on order. Verified it against the Carburetor number. This is an Early '85.. it has an '84 Carburetor on it. It took a while before I realized why the guy couldn't find that Carburetor for an '85. I bought the truck November '84.
    Already Drilled out the Rivets just waiting for the new part. In all my years I have never seen them riveted but then again there is a Notch on this one so it was not made to be adjusted like all the others I have seen. It's 'Keyed' goes on one way and then rivet. easy enough.
    Thanks