1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choke light on ice breaker spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Snowpiler2014, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Snowpiler2014

Snowpiler2014 Junior Member

Wondering if anyone can help me out? I recently bought a western spreader and got everything mounted on my truck. All is working good except for the choke. I have to dump a bit of gas down its throat and then it fires right up but would prefer if I could just do it from the cab.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does it have the speed control on it? And if so is it working?

3. Snowpiler2014

Yes it does and it works fine. Thanks

4. dieselss

Ok. That's what also controls the choke.

5. Snowpiler2014

The way I understand that its supposed to work is that you hold until its at maximum speed and then hold a bit more and the choke light is supposed to come on but no matter how long I hold it up to max speed the choke light never comes on and I still have to dump a bit of gas in the carb. It idles down fine and idles up fine. I called the local installer and they weren't helpful at all.

6. dieselss

Ok that's what I was getting at, as far as the throttle.
    Throttle up as far as it'll go, then get out and look at the carb throat. (Gotta take off the air cleaner) see if the choke is closing. Then look at the linkage, see if you can move it by hand. See if there is anymore travel. You may just be out of adjustment.

7. Snowpiler2014

I will give that a try, Thank You for that info.

8. dieselss

The choke needs to COMPLETELY close for the motor to start cold. I have adjusted quite a few b/c they wouldn't start without some type of aide