1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Choices choices which plow to buy for home use?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Ronald Foster, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Ronald Foster

Ronald Foster Member

I need to buy a plow for my driveway and maybe help out some neighbors so
    I want to get a small plow for my small truck.
    The truck is a 96 Toyota Tacoma with the V6 and supercharger. The truck has been heavily modified with a Dana 44 solid front axle and a Dana 60 rear axle. Both axles are equipped with selectable lockers. The front suspension is radius arms (as Ford used for F150s, Broncos etc.) and a coilover setup, leaf springs in the rear. The truck has a manual tranny and gears galore as it has a crawl box. I'm running 35" X 12.50 off road tires. Lots of traction. As you may have guessed the truck was setup for rock crawling. I also have dual batteries and a high output alternator so electrics shouldn't be a problem. I have a winch and winch bumper on the front of the truck so will likely have to do some customization of the mount.
    In your best opinion what would be a good plow for me to get for my needs. I'm retired and have no interest in going into the snow plow business, just meeting my own needs and perhaps helping out the neighbors.
    What's the best for infrequent use, hydraulic or electric. I also like to have versatility and want controllability from the cab so wireless looks like a good option to me. I have no trouble spending money as long as I get what I pay for. I'm also fairly handy.

Here's a pic of about what the front of the truck looks like. It's a little different today but not much. Oh yeah, it sits about 6" over stock.

2. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

35x12.50 are for floating over snow :laughing:

If you want to control the plow from the cab and think wireless is your only option then you really need to read some more about snow plows.

What snow plows have you actually researched?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

" I have no trouble spending money as long as I get what I pay for"
    Then get a dedicated plow truck/jeep or maybe a UTV, and keep the off-road toy as just that.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I smell a troll on this one
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's not a plow truck.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

In the back row just watchen the movie for now.

7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

What color is the truck .
  8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

For sure...
  9. Ronald Foster

Ronald Foster Member

So far Western, Snoway and Snow Dogg. I'm just starting to dig so to speak. The only local rep is a Western. There doesn't seem to be too many plows made for smaller trucks out there although mine is probably at least equal to any half tonner made today. The frame is beefed up as are the axles etc. The so called crumple zone has been eliminated with a solid block of milled steel that fills the frame. This thing has been built to go out and bash rocks so pushing some snow around shouldn't be too difficult.

I know wireless isn't my only option but I want to remove the plow and mounting for the summer months for trips to go play in the rocks etc. As I said the plow would be for light, occasional use only, and I have no intention of going into the business. I'd rather just wire up a receiver and take it and it's wiring and the plow mounting off for the summer months and I'm willing to pay for that convenience.

I was originally thinking of getting a small tractor with a FEL but that's a lot of money for a little snow work. A lot of homeowners up where I live have them just for the snow. As expensive as a plow can be it's not nearly as much as a tractor. Something like a small 4WD Kubota would set me back something like 30 grand by the time I got a back hoe and FEL on it. Fun and useful to be sure but still a lot of money to spend for occasional homeowner use.

As far as the tires go, think traction. Actually in the world of rock crawling, 35 X 12.50 tires are on the smallish side but still decent in the rocks and on the pavement. A lot are running 40's today but most of those are trail only, trailer queens. Traction is more a function for aggressive tread design with large self clearing voids, not size, otherwise snow tires wouldn't exist. No doubt the best possible tire would be a studded snow but you can't really run them here except for plastic studs and I don't think I really need them for what I want to do. If it came down to it, I could get a set of tires and rims for winter only but with the MTRs, I don't think I need to. Not yet anyway.

10. Ronald Foster

Ronald Foster Member

Within reason. From what I see the stuff made today is more plastic playtoy soccer mom junk than truck, especially heeps. Before I spent that kind of money, I'd buy a tractor with a FEL, spend a lot less money and get a lot more function.

11. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

He's not saying buy a newer "plastic" truck. He said buy a dedicated plow truck.
  12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

When you get a second, post up a list of snow tires that are available in 35 X 12.50.

I'll wait here.
  13. Ronald Foster

Ronald Foster Member

So far, I'd say the board is loaded with them. I asked a simple question and gave as much info as I could and so far all I've gotten is so much BS.
    Perhaps it was a huge waste of my time.

For me, the plow would be for HOMEOWNER, OCCASIONAL use only. I don't need, nor do I want a dedicated plow truck setup to go into the business. I'd buy a tractor before I bought that.

14. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Fine, you wan't some info? No dealer will install the plow. Why? Because they aren't going to custom build a mount for your toy that sits 6" higher than stock.
  15. Ronald Foster

Ronald Foster Member

"We have had the pleasure of a couple of winter seasons in the PA mountains riding on Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlars. On several occasions we were fighting our way through 20+ inch snow drifts and pushing our way through the trails in snow well above 1 to 1½ feet of snow with little trouble finding traction. Compared to the other tires along for the winter trail runs including the Super Swamper SSR's and the Mickey-Thompson-Baja-MTZ, the Kevlar's performed the best without question."

As you can see and I can attest they do very well in the snow. They also do well in the rocks, mud and are even decent on the street.

I came here for info and education, not to pass it out. Things like metal vs plastic blades, who makes junk and who makes the good stuff etc.
  16. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Driving over snow and plowing snow require two completely different means of traction. What you are talking about is driving over snow.

When plowing snow you are trying to make contact with the pavement with your tire, why? Because you are pushing snow in front of you. If you are sooo knowledgeable then I shouldn't have had to explain this one to you.
  17. Ronald Foster

Ronald Foster Member

Thanks, now that's the kind of info I was really looking for.

So you're saying if I want to put a plow on this truck. it'll be a DIY project. So far this truck has been already that, so it's not that big of a deal.

Who's stuff would you say is worth buying and installing?

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You're never going to win the tire argument on here in a million years. They believe if you aren't running pizza cutters you're going to run off the road and through something. It's the biggest sin on this forum lol

You'll be fine doing your driveway either way.
  19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Western fisher blizzard and snow ex are all made by DD. Western has the most ground clearance in the off season.

Maybe something like a western hts?
  20. Ronald Foster

Ronald Foster Member

As I said, if the tires get to be a big problem, I can always switch them out for the winter but these have pretty decent traction on the pavement and slick rock too so maybe not. First I need a plow and then I can address the tires if I need to.

Looks folks I'm looking for good info, not argument. If you don't want to add anything useful then please don't add anything at all.