1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

China made lightbar parts?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by J & B Lawncare, Jan 31, 2008.

1. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

So with all these made in China inports that look like our fine American made lights, Do the parts interchange? Some look like Code 3, Whelen, Federal products Do the domes and such work on one another?

Thanks

J & B

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

some do and some dont

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Just because the company is based in America does not mean the product they sell is made in America.

My led light bar which looks just like the code 3 stuff which looks like another companies bars have many interchangeable parts. The thing I have found is sometimes batch runs spec different pieces. There's only a few basic components; Led Switcher, Housing unit, Led modules. So far my bar runs fine, bright and now problems.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Kind of like American made trucks.

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Not at all actually. The china lighting copies are just that; copies. Or rather illegal clones that have been reversed engineered at the expense of the American companies.

6. scottL

I guess this could go like the chicken and the egg. Which came first. In most cases with older companies the design and manufacturing might have first been in the US. Later outsourced to China. Then like all good US ideas you have product A and then product B, C, D, etc. Sames stuff, same plant, sometimes a slight variance in sub-parts but, generally not noticeable. Be a fan of the crap new outsourcing or not ... every crap CEO does it. ( Look at the god father of outsourcing Jack Welsh from GE. An A-- who made millions in bonuses because of his out sourcing. They just never talk about the human factor, intellectual property rights, quality of service, legal protections, etc. Just the bottom line. )

7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

You're comparing apples to oranges. We're talking about lightbars. These copies are routinely siezed at points of entry because they are illegal and patent infringements. There is nothing wrong with the patent holders outsourcing to China or anywhere else. It's when the folks making the product w/out license and making a profit of others ideas is when the crime occurs.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  8. scottL

Apples to oranges?? No.

patents... Your really got to do some reading. There are SOOOO many lawsuits going on now for 'copies' it's ridiculous. There is also so much cargo coming in both in large scale and direct ship that NO seizures will grab it all nor will all officers know what to grab. Ideal world maybe ... but, it's not an ideal system. ( yes, I know it's a crime in a law abiding state - I'm not for it. I just know I've seen, read and been near some of these lawsuits. )

9. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

So your in favor of patent infringement? You feel it's ok for an American business to spend a significant amount off cash on research and developement; while providing jobs to Americans and paying American salaries and benefits, only to have some factory in china reverse engineer it, make cheap knockoffs at a fraction of the price, often times utilizing sweatshops, and profit from the American design?

There are seizure happening every day. Unfortunately it's not nearly enough. Much bootleg product does get through. Does that mean we should stop trying? ALL states are law (or should be) law abiding. Which ones aren't?

10. scottL

Give it a REST. Your accusing me of something I did not portray and in fact IF you read my posts you would not accuse me of anything. :gunsfiring:

( BWahahahaahaha ALL states are law abiding. Your kidding right. First off when you talk about a world economy the verbiage 'state' refers to any country with some semblance of a government that has trade relations with the US. I'm ending this thread now... It's obvious you are choosing not to read and are pis-ed off at the world looking to vent at someone. I merely stated what's going on and have actually stated that I do not agree with it. If you do not like it then you should go vote, write letters, force your crappy politicians to do their job).

11. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

No, I won't give it a rest, and I haven't accused you of anything. You keep spouting off with an absurd position and making inflammatory replies and expect me to not respond. Feel free to carry this discussion on off-forum, but just because you say you're ending the thread, doesn't mean it's ended. (I don't see moderator under your name although perhaps one should lock this thread as it seems to have gone off topic) I do agree it doesn't belong here. I'm not pisssed off at the world or even you. This is called dialogue. Finally, how are they my politicians? Are you not a citizen? Do you not vote? Perhaps not.