1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chime in for a quick survey- plow on or off?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by yardsmith, Dec 26, 2009.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I remember back in the mid-late 90's when snow was kinda sparse we used to kid each other that if you kept you plow on between storms, driving around town like that would jinx it & make it 'not snow'. Looking back I laugh at it now.
    But chime in-do you leave your plow on all winter, or take it off between storms? Years ago if there was no snow forecasted for awhile I'd take it off for mpg sake. At this stage in life I mostly use the truck for plowing & loading up salt, so I'll drive one of the other vehicles. If I have to take it into the shop, I usually have to take the plow off, though. Other than that, my plow stays on the whole season.
    What about the rest of ya?? :confused:
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I leave mine on during the season and drive another.
  3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I take it off as soon as i,m done if i can and then go out and sand. I hate driving around with it if i,m not plowing..
  4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I take it off after every storm just so it's not sitting out in the weather, plus it's a pain if i decide to drive that vehicle anywhere.
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

my plows come off usually 2 days after a storm depending on the size of the storm. no need to drive around with it on.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have all dedicated plow trucks in the winter time, so they stay on and get parked in my shop.
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

most of the plows come off all the trucks. the day after cleanup. or if its a thursday night storm and we plow friday they will come off monday as trucks are needed. if the truck isntgoing to a job the plow is left on no point of taking it off if the truck doesnt need to be used.

there is only 1 truck that the plow never comes off and thats the old 68 mack. just becuase it is only used in the winter for plowing. the plow and sander stay on all year long.
  8. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

If Im just driving around town I keep it on. Mostly because I cant fit the truck in the garage and dont want to put the plow on in the snow with the couplers freezing and what not. I hate meyers.... Last year I had a garage big enough for the truck and plow to fit into so the plow came off when there wasnt any snow forcasted.
  9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I take my plow off after the storm because it is also my daily driver. The plow just adds that much more wear and tear to the front end parts, and i just think it is worth the extra minute of aggravation to have some peace of mind that the plow is not hanging an extra 800 pounds off the front of the truck..
    the only time ill leave it on is if there is a storm coming within the next two days and i do not plan on driving that much
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Been leaving mine on ,but the coffee getter is off.
  11. Hummer120

Hummer120 Junior Member

two trucks, take it off from the one I drive all the time, leave the dedicated plow truck attached.
  12. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

both of ours stay on, unless we need to work on them, or take them more then a mile or two. we've got lots of others to drive with out plow
  13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I take mine off. The old Meyer set up would stay on since it was a pain to take on and off. Now just two wires to unplug and a lever to kick, then the truck is plow free. And it is my daily driver when the wife is at work with the blazer
  14. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I usually take my off, but I have been lazy here lately and it's been on for a couple of weeks with no snow. I told my wife it's my new adjustable bumper, haha.
  15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Take it off my 06 as soon as I'm done and the one on the 97 usually stays on for a couple days before I take it off
  16. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

If there is nothing in the 7 day it comes off. Otherwise I leave it on. I have a car to use if the roads are clear.
  17. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Off ASAP.....
  18. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I have 5 with the 4 plows on the whole season unless in for repairs. One in reserve with plow off in case I either need the rig or replacement plow. I also do equipment checks about every other day just to keep things moving. Wish I could get my subs to do that.
  19. Premier

Premier Senior Member

the unimount stays on unless it really needs to come off for repairs, the boss comes off most of the time unless it is going to snow again really soon.
  20. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

plows on for the season. Some days in Jan we can be chasing wind drifts and skiffs each day. 9 days so far in Dec, some only saltings and clean-ups. That can work up to every 3rd day