1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chief V-box?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alfman, Dec 3, 2001.

1. alfman

alfman Junior Member

I saw an ad in the paper for a 8' stainless v-box for 1800 obo. The guy said it was a chief.Its about 6 years old,brigs motor and in pretty good shape.I have never heard of this brand, any comments? He said it was cleaned and sprayed in the spring but when I asked him about the chain he said he usally replaces it every year. Is this common? I dont know much about v-boxes but would like to replace one of my tailgate units for the savings in price of salt. Does this sound like a good buy? What should I look for? Thanks!
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Should be a henderson unit. Cheif was a model of theirs I believe.
    Be carefull, they made a painted 409 stainless and a 304 regular stainless. If it is the 409 it will still get rust.
    He may be speaking of the drivechains on the engine that he replaces, I can see why anyone would change the apron chain every year.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Unless he does not properly clean and oil the chains and the end of the season he should get at least 5 years out of them. Incidentlt the chains are not stainless on any sander that I know of. They must still be cleaned every year.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

that price seems like it is in the ballpark, though i looked at a few used ones and the price difference from new to used was not that great so i bought a new one along with reliability and peice of mind

i bought mine from evans supply near the airport..

i live on the other side of akron in stow

i know of another one used, been gone over already for same price but not stainless
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

What I meant to say was.
    I cant see why anyone would change an apron chain every season.