1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chicagoland Supplier Clear Liquid Starch/Sugar

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Larry Temple, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Larry Temple

Larry Temple Junior Member

I am the Facility Manager for a small college in the northern suburbs of Chicago - we have over 165,000 sqft of sidewalks (leading to 28 buildings) that we want to start anti-icing treatment this winter. Long story short because of tight budgets we are making our own liquid 23% NiCi and 32% CaCl2 mixes - We have a 2 tote sodium chloride brine maker up and going using a 6600 gmh pump along with pneumatic air agitation to help mixing - We also are mixing our own calcium chloride from dry Peladow with pneumatic air agitation in a tote (it's cost us .80 gal). My plan is to use a 85/10/5 or 80/10/10

The last piece I need is a starch/sticker - I can purchase totes of Geomelt 55 or a similar "beet" products but I'm afraid our custodial staff will hate the dark color being dragged into our buildings.

The problem I run into is buying smaller quantities of clear liquids (250 gal totes or 55 gal barrels) - most vendors seem geared to sell to municipalities. Does anyone know of a source to purchase a tote or two of a clear corn based or clear molasses starch/sticker I can use as a 10% additive/sticker for our anti-icing program?

2. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

Can you use beat juice?

3. Larry Temple

I could but that's what I'm afraid of - the dark color being tracked into my buildings - I'm trying to find a "clear" alternative in tote quantity

4. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We have never had a complaint about it.

5. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

Ya I more I think about it we don't really spay right by the doors

6. Larry Temple

Other Facility Mangers in nearby county school districts I network with have said they have had staining with "beet juice" - thus I'm weary of the dark color. Even the SNI rep said even if I dilute it to 10% the Geomelt 55 shouldn't be sprayed within 15 ft of the door entrance if I don't want it on my floors (he said diluted it's still pretty dark). Thus I'm trying to find a clear but will probably go to Geomelt 55 or Fusion 55 or Beet Heet or some other sticker if I cant find a choice.

7. Larry Temple

I was looking at Ice Ban tonight which "is the by-product of multiple
    industries such as corn syrup, corn starch, etc."http://www.scotwoodindustries.com/uploads/94/original/All%20About%20IceBan.pdf

I haven't dealt with Scotwood Industries don't know if they sell in Chicagoland, in tote quantity, or if the product will work in mixes, I'll call in the morning.

Anyway any suggestions on liquid vendors in the area or products would be most helpful :)

8. Larry Temple

Which product/manufacturer do you use?

9. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We buy our liquids off a local property maintenance company, but their product does contain beet juice and is pretty dark. We mainly use it to treat our bulk salt pile.

We don't spray every event, but I just know we have never had a complaint. Maybe no one said anything!

10. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

I'm not sure if it's the same but I was talking to guy about making liquid. He said after mixing the calcium with the water, add some liquid soap to get it to stick. Not a liquid guy or even have I ever tried it. This was in casual conversation and that's what he said

11. Larry Temple

Soap hmmm - I might try a small area - Intuitively I would think 5-10% soap would make things somewhat slippery.

12. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

As I stated, not a liquid guy. This is what this guy said that you needed to add to it to get it to bind, or of that nature. It just seemed that's what you're looking for.
    Don't blame me if your driving around with a bubble machine ;)